Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

grilles

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  95power 
#1 ·
Does anyone no were i can find them. im looking for a variety to pick from i only see a bunch that look the same

#2 ·
there are really one two styles i believe i am goin to be makin my own here soon:nod: :thumb:

#6 ·
i seen that i not cuttin everythin out tho. just need a JY and like 20 bucks to get me an arm full of grills lol

#8 ·
Hey guys, i did that DIY rpb grill to my dads truck (04 superduty) when i found that thread. It actually turned out great!

Then i did it to my truck (95 powerstroke) and it didnt turn out to bad, it is just A TON of work. i think it took me and my buddy almost 15-20 hours to get my dads grill done. and have it look good. and it only cost me about maybe 60 bucks to do both grills. and got everything needs at lowes. if i could figure out how to post pics on here i would be glad to show you how it turned out on both trucks.

#9 ·
post that link up...ive been thinking bout doing the RBP style thing...just havent got around to it. id love to see pix of it! :D

#10 ·
if you just go to google and put in like "******* special RBP syle grill" or something along those lines it should pull it up. but those guys are doing it on a 08-10 grill or a superduty grill.
the OBS grill is a whole different story. i kinda had to go along the lines of what they were saying and kinda switch a couple things to make it work for the OBS.
and if your going to do it on your OBS make sure you get some mesh or something that covers a lot. because i cut the whole middle thing with the crosses in it out and put mesh in its place and it was A LOT of mesh. you could see everything behind it if you know what i mean.

if i knew how to post pics id be glad too.

#12 ·
Found one. This is exactly what i was gonna do. Except put a Monster Decal/Emblem on the Drivers side corner of the grill.
This is from

TravisT

So there has been some interest in the build details for this, so here it is broken down into 25 easy steps. Feel free to give it a try.

1. Source some stainless steel wire mesh. Make sure it's big enough to apply to your grille in a diagonal pattern. The mesh is a series of vertical and horizontal wires. Diagonal just looks better. Alco in San Leandro California has the role I took from.
2. Source some good primer and paint.
3. Source some mounting hardware. I chose grade 8 bolts and grade 5 nylon locking nuts. You'll need about 60 or more bolts.
4. Cut the center of the grille out with a small cutting wheel. I used a dremmel and it took a long time but made for a pretty straight cut. The thick chrome plating makes it difficult.
5. Save the center of the grille. Don't throw it away yet!
6. Next, notice how the top of the grille frame is thicker than the rest. Mask it off so that the top is equal thickness to the sides and cut out the excess with the grinding wheel.
7. Sand and sand and sand until the cut edges are perfect. Also hit the chrome with some aggressive sand paper to etch it for paint.
8. This is the hard part. You need to calculate how far apart you want your bolts, but they have to end up perfectly in the corners. What I did was marked the top two corners where I wanted the bolt holes and measured in mm from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole. Then divided by the number of bolts I wanted accross the top. This is incredibly important. I think they were like 22mm apart on the top and sides, and 21mm apart across the bottom. Take your time with this.
9. Take a marker and mark exactly where you think you want your bolt holes
10. Make a jig for your drill. I took a piece of angle aluminum and drilled two holes 22mm apart on one and 21mm apart on the other. That way I was able to drill the first hole, then put an unused bit through the jig and into that hole, the second hole in the jig should line up with the mark on the frame, if so, drill away and repeat.
11. Sand the rough edges around the holes.
12. Prime and paint the best you can. Make sure it's damn good and cured before moving on. It scratches very easily.
13. Make a cardboard template for what the wire mesh insert should look like
14. Transfer that image onto the wire mesh, careful to get the diagonal pattern just right, and cut it out. Keep in mind that the bolts actually hold the mesh in so make sure you leave enough for that.
15. Either buff the stainless (which would look sweet), paint it, or have it powder coated. I chose powder coating for $20.
16. Start squeezing the mesh into the plastic grill. Putting a few bolts in to keep it in place. Be very careful. The bolts can scratch the paint if they spin on the paint or dig into it.
17. Some tweaking is required to get the bolts to poke through the mesh. You will need to bend some wires with a needle nose to get them to work right. Torque them down well enough to not crack the plastic.
18. Test fit onto the truck.
19. You will find that the top of the grille screws in great but the bottom center screw has been cut out. That is where you need that center section you cut out.
20. There are lots of ways for doing this but what I did was cut out the mounting point on the original grill insert and cut enough at the bottom to allow it to be bolted to the bottom of the grille frame. It comes up short, so a little heat and a little stretching made it line up perfect.
21. I found that the bottom of the grille frame was a little weak so I added a piece of aluminum for bracing. I cant remember if I did that before or after paint.
22. Before attaching the grille to the truck you have to figure out how to open the hood. I just drilled the finger handle thing and attached a plastic coated steel cable to it. Ran it diagonal to the top left corner of the hood and drilled a hole in the radiator support and ran it through. Next create a loop in the cable and crimp one of those cable crimp things in there to keep the loop and keep it from slipping through the radiator support. How it works is when the hood is down, but popped, just reach in there and grab that loop and give it a tug. It opens easier than stock now.
23. OK, now you can put the grill on. The top screws go in easy but that bottom one takes some magic. You need a long skinny screw driver and careful hands to ease it into the hole and torque down. It might take a while but you'll get it.
24. Stand back and admire it.
25. Take pictures and post it here!

Remember this was done for less than $50. Not a bad pric
e!!

Hes from TheDieselStop.com

I like it!

#13 ·
yeah thats the truck i found after the superduty thread, i did it to my grill.
but. . . . i used to big of bolts and broke the bottom.
but ill post pics anyway.

BTW great job on the truck, ive read every page of it haha. im 16 and got my own 95 OBS.

im guessing if you copy paste it it will take you there.
i hope.

and my dad liked mine so much he let me do it to his.
this is the superduty.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/codyprandall13/dadsgrill.jpg

#17 ·
Ahh, YEah you should of used shorter bolts and Smaller heads. :thumb:

Im going to use a Finer But Thicker Mesh material. And Cut a Rockstart Energy or MONSter Logo out of 1/4" Steel.

I like it tho... Its kinda funnny when you think of somthing to do 2 your truck, then months later when your contemplating bout doing it. Someones thought of it and has made it.

BTW great job on the truck, ive read every page of it haha. im 16 and got my own 95 OBS.
thanks, I would go back every page and Get a sum of what ive done....BUT Way to much work lol. It would take me like 4 hours.

Where do u live?

#14 ·
and i no on my grill the bolt arent lined up. i just kinda rushed through it cuz i got excited. im going to a reckin yard and pickin up a new grill to go on trial 2.

my dads superduty had the grill that came out the best. i get compliments everywhere i go on it. and if your going to do it take your time. its worth it in the end. and it will look good on your dually when you get that thing done.

#18 ·
yeah i figured that out after the first couple bolts. i needed smaller and thiner bolts. thats why im going to get another grill and try it again.

and yeah if you use more thicker mesh or something like the truck you posted, it would look awesome.

and i live in mesa, arizona.

#21 ·
looking back on it now i wish i did, but no i didnt. unless you go to the top and just follow the instructions. but there still isnt pictures to follow. sorry man.

if i get my new grill and do it again then i will make sure to take pictures of every step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.