Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Obs Dually conversion

43K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  222moose 
#1 ·
So I want to change my obs to a dually I'm trying to figure out the best way if I should just get a new rear axle or if I should just change up the one I have I don't really now what the diffrence is in the two but I'm guessing the axles are diffrent

#2 ·
THe axles are the same and I believe the wms to wms are the same as well. You'll need different front hubs, a bed or at least the fenders, and the wheels.

on a side not why do you want to change it to a dually?

#4 ·
So JS your saying it would be best to just get front and rear axles from a dually or can injust use diffrent axles and put larger drums and Terry I have always wanted a crewcab obs dually but there hard to find in 4 wheel drive so I figure I would just make mine into one

#10 ·
I stand corrected...

The two that I mentioned built their own around here one guy is still running a srw axle with duals

WMS = wheel mounting surface

#12 ·
Is this a 4x2 or a 4x4? Here is the deal. The rear axles are not the same. As stated the SRW is 4 inches narrower than the dually. If you are just doing it for the looks then just throw on spacers if you are ok with that. Yes it will be harder on your hub bearings. If you are doing it for the weight carrying capacity go buy a take out rear end out of the junk yards. If it is a 4x2 i'm not totally sure but I think you can just remove your rotors and install the DRW front rotors. I know when I replaced the ones on my 95 DRW 4x2 they were complete with the hub and all. But were high dollar. If it is a 4x4 then again if not carrying weight spacers if that is your thing. If weight is going to be carried then get the drw front hubs off of an earlier dana 60. They are the same and will work as Ford did not build a 4x4 dually in these years. You will have to go back to the earlier 90s. I have all the parts to do mine here in Texas just have not done it yet. I once even thought of selling it all just cause I have not had the time. I have scoured all over to find deals and will have about 1200 in parts to do my 4x4 dually conversion. JJ

#13 ·
Yea I wanna do all the stuff for weight loading i found a dually for like 400 bucks so I was just gonna get it and rip out the axles so the rear end is pretty easy just need to find a bed but it's the front I'm worried about I don't wanna lose 4 wheel so I'm just trying to find the best way to do the front end

#14 ·
Best thing for the front is spacers just like on current DRW 4x4s. You can look for a 4x4 cab chassis, arrowcraft or I have heard that dodge spacers will work. Used spacers will need to be for a 8x6.5 lug pattern. The spacers still keep the tire in the same place, just makeup for the huge offset on DRW wheels.

You could also leave the spacers off and run your current wheels assuming their the same diameter, but you would need two different spares.

#17 ·
I have a set of spacers off of my factory dually conversion truck if interested. They are 4 spacers and 32 extension lug studs/nuts and i would be willing to sell them for $500 + shipping

#18 ·
You can get away with spacers, my truck is an f250 converted to a dually by centurion, it uses a 3 inch spacer in the front and a 2 inch spacer in the rear, you will need to get quality spacers however, dont go buying them off ebay.

Ive used the truck for nothing but towing heavy loads and have had no problems, however you cannot go cheap on the spacers.

The second alternative which i did to another truck of mine was just get the hubs. The dually hubs from a dually will directly bolt on to the srw axles however you will need to get dually drums. In the front, no matter if you have a dana 50 or dana 60, you can use the hubs off of a dually dana 60 and they will bolt on, if you have any questions pm me, ive been there and done that on all of this stuff

#19 ·
im there too

Hey man im in the same boat, dont worry i am going to be kinda of a ginuea pig heretoo. i just bought a 96 dually rearend complete with springs shocks and swaybar to throw up under my 97 cc swr shortbed to convert it to a 350, but i also lucked up and found for cheap a front d60 out of a 4x4 dually chasie cab. IM going to start swaping the axles out very soon . good luck and lets see some pics !!!!!!!

#20 ·
im there too

Hey man im in the same boat, dont worry i am going to be kinda of a ginuea pig heretoo. i just bought a 96 dually rearend complete with springs shocks and swaybar to throw up under my 97 cc srw shortbed to convert it to a 350, but i also lucked up and found for cheap a front d60 out of a 4x4 dually chassie cab. IM going to start swaping the axles out very soon . good luck and lets see some pics !!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.