Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

bed slightly tilted, need to fix

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  leojr 
#1 ·
I have a 97 F350 crew, long. It's in great shape. I'v noticed though that the bed on the passenger side is tilted (misaligned) slightly up from the cab. Maybe an 1" higher that the cab. It's visible from the back and the side. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could remedy that?

#2 ·
one of my working trucks 97 350 has the same issue... but when i looked under the truck and further investigated it i found that because of all the weight we constantly load in the bed it has bent right where it sits on top of the frame.... i havnt corrected it yet but you could always add shims to lift it up

-Raul

#3 ·
I don't need to lift it up. The problem is that it's already lifted on the passenger side too high, i.e. the bed is an inch or so higher than the cab on the right side and the driver's side is perfectly level with the cab. So, IMHO, while it could be a bent frame (highly doubtful I think) shims won't take care of something thats already too high.

#4 ·
Could it be as simple as checking the bed bolts and the cab bushings and deciding which one is causing the tilt then fixing?

#6 ·
That's an idea....I'll have to look at everything tomorrow.

#8 ·
I have a feeling it might be the bushing on the back right side of the cab. I'm going to take it by the local body shop tonight where I have the hookups. Let them tell me whats up.
I know it's a little thing but it bugs the crap out of me.

#9 ·
I'd look at cab bushings as this was the problem with mine as well. Let us know what happened.

#10 ·
Yea mines twisted up any direction you can think of

#11 ·
My 97 F350 crew cab long bed has the same thing where on the drivers side the bed sits about 3/4" higher than the cab. Anybody have a recommendation as to where to take it to get this fixed? Are these body styles prone this happening? I was thinking of taking it to a body shop to get it fixed. It's not a huge problem, but misaligning body lines really get to me too!

#13 ·
I also agree with the bushings, these frames are pretty darn tough to bend.

#15 ·
When I installed my air bags. I notice that the distance between the top of the axle and the bottom of the frame was differant between the left and right side. My bed is missaligned as well. I filled the air bag on the left ( Drivers side) until the bed was level. I think the fuel tank on the left side of the truck is the cause of the missalinement.

#16 ·
I have the same issue on my 97 CCLB only on the drivers side, drives me nuts too. I have visually confirmed in my case it is the drivers rear body mount, the bushing has split from the mount. Not exactly sure how you split one of the cab mount bushings and not the others.

#18 ·
I doubt the bed has sagged.

I didn't note how bad my body was sagging but knew it was and replaced the bushings with poly bushings. Now my drivers side cab is too high by a 1/2" or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.