Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Long Shot: 99+ cab on 97 frame?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  alberta 7.3 
#1 ·
I've seen some pretty wicked fab projects on here, but has anybody put a 99+ cab on a 97 frame? I had a '00 F350 for a little while and a lot of stuff was "similar" but I never measured cab mounting points or anything... even if they're different, it's not hard to weld some tabs on the frame... but I'm curious how hard it really is. Obviously the electrics would be the biggest nightmare, but wouldn't be unsurmountable, either.

I love the look of the OBS, but I'm getting tired of my single cab and have started daydreaming. If I'm going through with a swap I wonder if I shouldn't just put a 99+ cab on it, that way I can update the headlights and all that fun stuff, too...

#2 ·
The body lines won't line up and it will look like a giant turd. Either find yourself an OBS crew cab at a junkyard, or just the rear doors and stretch your cab if you're handy at sheet metal work. Or take the easy way out and sell your single cab and buy a crew cab :D

#6 ·
Ahh... well that makes a bit of a difference :D
I like some of the SD interior features a bit better than OBS, but they are minor. The one thing I miss about my SD was being able to store my CD cases under the seats... thats about it.
One thing you might want to do before you consider the swap is measure frame width... not sure they are the same. Also, you might run into issues with VIN numbers and registration doing a cab swap, so look into that as well.
Need more room in the single cab? Make the dogs ride on the flat bed! :D

#4 ·
I'd say its not worth the hassle. You want a 99+ reg cab, or are you wanting bigger?

#5 ·
Bigger. Single cab is not enough room for 2 people and 2 50 pound dogs...

Ideally I'm going to buy a 4 door truck, then turn this thing into my project. I've already got a bunch of money sunk in it so it's not like I'd really come out selling it, but I'm damn sure not going to sell it for peanuts just to get some money to spend on something else. If I can't sell it for what it's worth (hell, almost half the truck is brand new) I'm just going to keep it and do something silly with it... like a ridiculous cab swap.

#7 ·
You're going to have to lengthen the frame obviously, and probably move the rear axle back too, unless you want a short bed. Anything can be done, with enough $$$. Good luck bud, post pics if you decide to do it, its going to be a cool project :nod:

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.