OBS CC REPLACEMENT ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OBS CC REPLACEMENT ????

Well i got a smokin deal on my truck and at the time i wasn't so concerned with the amount of rust that it had. Only that it had a powerstroke, was 4wheel peal, and it was a CC. Oh and that i was only giving $2600 for her.

So now i am a little concerned with the condition of the cab. Drivers and passenger side floors are rotted through, and drivers cab mount is in bad shape. Rear cab corners are shot as well.

Has anyone ever replaced an entire cab before?? I am a pretty accomplished DIY mechanic and am sure i could handle it. I just am wondering how involved it is? Would it be easier and more cost effective to just fix what is bad? I am just not keen on having a bunch on bondo in my truck. I would rather fix things right one time then have to fix it again in a few years.

Thoughts, suggestions, how to's, past experiences are all welcome!!!! Let me know what you guys think. Will try to post some pic's of the bad areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Its probly going to cost alot just to fix all that rust, what you can, and idk where your located but ,i have 2001 with minimal rust which i cant stand it, may not last a season. I was told this by a one of the best places to go up here in northern wi. I''d shop around for a cab with doors. I'll be looking for doors and a bed, sandblasting the bottom of the cab and getting rhino liner to match my paints and leave it fixed, it seals it. Theres many different routes to go but i like to get it done right the first time, not after a few tries.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would go to the local auto wrecker. Look for a cab that has been in a roll over or something that has a good floor section. Take the whole floor if you can.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM

If this give u a idea its a job
Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So what you are saying is that it like doing a frame off resto.... great....
Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 AM

I've never pulled the cab off my CC but I did a cab swap on an EFI 87 Chevy 4x4 once upon a time. Pull the front clip off, unplug all the crap going to the cab, unbolt and lift off. It sounds really daunting but its really not that bad. Take your time, label stuff with notes (sharpie marker on masking tape, put nuts and bolts in bags and label them) and you'll be fine. To me your cab sounds like a total loss, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. The only issue you may have is the VIN, but it can be taken care of. I had to take my Chevy to the State patrol for an inspection and they issued a new title with the VIN of the new cab, and riveted a metal tag in the door frame with the old VIN stamped on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.