Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Obs door stuck shut

10K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  JJFLASH 
#1 ·
My passenger side door is stuck shut. It worked until recently, just stopped all of the sudden. I can still use my electronic window/lock though. I tried looking down between the door and door panel with the window rolled down - there's a metal rod that is off of it's track. So when you push the exterior door release button, it doesn't trigger anything. Also, there is no interior door handle. Pretty much what I'm wanting to know is what can I do to fix this problem? Is it possible to get the door panel off enough to fix with it stuck closed? (I see one screw that is blocked while door is closed.) Thanks in advance for any help guys.

#2 ·
Why is there no interior door handle? Broke off? Is the stump of the handle there? That's where I would start to try to find a way to open the door.

#3 ·
I just recently bought the truck and that's the way I bought it. I was just about to take the door panel off and go to the junkyard to get a handle but the damn door got stuck the night before I was going.

#4 ·
What's left of it tho? The absolute easiest would be if you could either grab the stump with pliers or reach in through the hole and pull the linkage. Know what I mean?

#5 ·
I just want to post a follow-up reply to this thread. I finally had some free time today to tackle this problem. I tried using pliers on the stump but there wasn't enough of it left to get a good grip. So I pulled the door panel off as far as I could and rolled the window down to reach my arm between the door and panel. I could just barely get two fingers on the door handle stump and didn't have enough leverage to pull it up enough to open the door. So I went to the junkyard and grabbed a new interior door handle (and some other goodies). FYI, it's a b!tch to remove/replace it with the door panel still on; could only turn the screw like 2 flats at a time. Anyways at long last the door handle did the trick. My problem was one of the return springs siezing/getting off track. I just sprayed the sh!t out of it with silicone spray and worked it a few times and now it works. Hope this helps someone in the future...

#6 ·
Glad you got er fixed. I can't beleive you squeezed your arm in there without taking the panel completely off! Really common for the one bolt that secures the handle to the door tin to rip out on the OBS. Fixed one at the shop the other day and there was no way I could have done it without pulling the door panel off right off. I got pretty big arms tho lol.

#8 ·
haha well I had about 4 1/2 - 5" of clearance once I unscrewed the plastic door lock cover and pulled the panel away from the door. It was a tight fit and my arm got scratched up pretty good lol.

i have never heard of them breaking before. and working on a fully covered door while closed lol.

glad you got it working.

btw couldnt you just reach over the window and open from the outside?
haha desperate times, right? And yea, that's what I did, I stood outside with my left arm down there between the panel and door. You need a good amount of leverage which I didn't have because all I had to work with was the stump. Lol.

#9 ·
I just assumed that he was unable to open to door from the outside. Never thought to ask cause I thought that was implied.

Dude...you did try to open it from the outside right??

Around here it's common for that tab to rip off. I don't know if it's from abuse or what but they come in from time to time :dunno:

#11 ·
Lol yeah I went back and reread it more carefully and yeah you did mention it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.