Painting grill - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Painting grill

Looking at painting my grill black shortly since the crome is far beyond saving... How long are you wating before putting on the clear coat? you let the color fully dry first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 AM

What does the product data sheet or mixing guide / cure times say. Whatever material you are using it should state cure time or overcoat times at a particular drying temperature. Some products you can wait to long or not long enough....some paints if you apply a second coat before the first is cured it will gas (peel) the second coat off the surface. When paint dries it releases solvent in the curing process......
Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM

Im using duplicolor in teh spray bombs... guess i didnt read far enough on the can. I just quickly skimmed over the directions looking for spacific info on putting the clear on
Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 PM
a truck

I sprayed the grille on my OBS with dupli color. Yes you need to wait until the paint fully dries, about an hour or so is how long I waited until I sprayed the clear
Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 PM

And yes, that is a good paint system...same thing as base-coat / clear-coat at the factory or body shop and for a lot less money. After it dryes you can wet sand with 1000 grit paper and apply additional coats....I would put on at least three...

Post some photos when you get it done...

Good Luck!!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 PM
a truck

yep you can very easily wet sand their clear, and plus 1 on doing three coats.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

Cool thanks for the info.... hoping to do it today. Just depends on how far i get on the kids car today. Gotta fix a stripped head bolt today...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM

if you wait too long after the color you can scuff it with a grey scuff pad before clearing it and for best results wetsand after clearing then reclear it'll help eliminate as much trash orange peel as possible. I've seen some amazing things with rattle can, but you cant always expect the same thing as a paint gun. The spray can is a 1K option, and the Paint Gun typically is a 2K hardened clearcoat system. Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Well got it all painted up with a few problems... For some reason a few spots on the light trim the paint would not stick. The light trim was so far gone with pitting and such i guess i should have taken them off and sanded them down till the pits were gone.. must have been some residue in teh pits i couldent get out... Other than that they look good... Way better than the green chrome...hehe
Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zROCK View Post
Well got it all painted up with a few problems... For some reason a few spots on the light trim the paint would not stick. The light trim was so far gone with pitting and such i guess i should have taken them off and sanded them down till the pits were gone.. must have been some residue in teh pits i couldent get out... Other than that they look good... Way better than the green chrome...hehe
I'm with ya on that one zROCK.....90% of painting failures are due to lack of proper surface preparation. Yes, like you said...there probably was some residue left in the pits that you couldn't sand well.. None the less your happy with the outcome of your work.....I'm glad your paint job worked out for you, I bet it does look way better…than it did before you started……

T/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.