Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Door hinges

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ryandamo 
#1 ·
Do I have to replace the door hinges or can I replace the pins and bushings?
It looks like the pins are set and will not come out. If I need the hinges does anyone have a good set for the drivers door??

#5 ·
Not to thread jack but the hinges on my drivers door are rounded out where the bushings go. I got some new hinges from a junk yark and rebuilt them. My pins are the ones with caps on both ends so its not going to be an easy drive them out. Now im just wondering the best way to take the door off or change out my hinges. Is there a connector on the wiring harness that goes to the door?

#7 ·
its really not that hard to change the pins, if there rounded out you just need to get some over sized ones.

Do one hinge at a time, first mark both the hinge and the door so you can line the hinge in the exact position,

Then either get a buddy or a floor jack with a piece of wood on it and lift the door slightly to take load off hinges. Then take the hinge bolts out, you will need a u joint socket and an extension, forgot what size they were but use a 6 point socket to prevent stripping.

once the hinges are off the truck, cut the factory pin with a sawzall right down the middle. use a large screw driver or a chisel and shove it in the cut and wiggle the 2 pin halves apart, they can be a pain but they will come out.

Then if the old busing didnt fall out, use a screw driver and punch out out on a hard surface.

Now take the new bushing and line it up in the hole, making sure its goin in the way the old one came out, then press it in gently with a bench vise.

slide pin in, put the c clip in the appropriate slot on the pin, then put the hinge back on door, spray it up with some lube when finished

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.