Dana 60 swap questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dana 60 swap questions?

What year would be the best to get the axle from?

Where do most of you get the parts for the axle?

Do the springs just bolt in the factory dana 50 location?

And any other info that would be usful to make the decision to do the swap, Ive never done a swap. I know there's lots of threads have looked at them. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

I think it is a very easy swap, the springs and every thing else should fit fine. Two things that could be issues; 1. the dana 60 that you get may have different size rotors, depending on the year, 2. the drag link and tie rods may be different than what you have. oh, also you may have to remove some brackets that are used for the IFS. but very simple over all. depending on how much off road/wheeling you will be doing, the king pin knuckles are stronger than the ball joints. Im not sure what years would be best,but make sure that you have the same gear ratio as the rear. This is the best upgrade that you can do for the f-250, for sure !! Also I would be sure that all seals are like new, before installing it. especially the inner oil seals, its a lot easier to replace them with the thing out. good luck !!
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Best mod..RS kit and SD spring swap..will transform your truck. I've helped hundreds since I first developed this mod..PM if I can help.

cary
Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

forget about the reverse shackle swap, its a waste of time and money. if you can find a set of Super Duty springs for free or very very cheap use them, unless stay with your stockers, alot better.

the king pin style Dana 60's were in 91 and under i think?? and ball joints came in in 91 and up. DEF get a king pin IMO. less to go wrong and the king pins dont wear out as quick as ball joints.

try to stay 80's an 90's style, and if your getting it out of a donor truck you will need the track bar mount thats on the frame, also you will need all the steering pieces as the Dana 50 ones are different.

also as said before make sure the 60 has the same gear ratio, as the gears in your dana 50 wont fit into the 60 i think??? ( not 100% sure on that one)

i've not done this mod yet, but am going to when my time will allow, i have a donor truck, and have researched this alot , also subscribe to the OBS chat and ask your questions in there.... lots of guys there that have done this swap and with all kinds of information

good luck!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
RS kit is REQUIRED to use SD springs..we are talking about the front. Agreed do not use a RS kit on the rear.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 PM

I agree the RSK is just not worth the hassle unless you use SD springs, I didn't have that options(SD spring) and my truck doesn't ride any better than it did stock, and was one of the BIGGEST PITA mod I've ever done to my truck. I tow a 5er and I my trailer is already nose high going down the road and any extra lift is out of the question.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM

The best mod for a f-250 obs is a front dana 60 swap !! I agree that the stock springs on both the f-250 and f-350 obs are not good; mine actually had negative arc, two leafs is not enough with that heavy 7.3. I have heard that the SD springs work good, but I used skyjacker 5 leaf pack with 3" lift, front and back, flipped my rear shackle brackets, installed nitro 8000 shocks; what a difference !! WOW The truck is amazing now the ride with the stock springs was hard and harsh, and now it is soft but firm. I replaced the ball joint also, and that eliminated almost all of the slop in the steering, they didn't seem like they were shot, but what a difference !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.