Pulling out Leafs to lower rear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling out Leafs to lower rear

I have had my 95 F250 for about a week now and I was looking over the rear end and noticed that it looks like my old F150 my dad had added leafs to so that it could haul heavier loads. It has the 3 if I remeber right leafs that all stick closly together and then it has a larger about 1/2 inch thick leaf on the bottom that seems like a helper leaf. I understand removing this will lower the amount that I will be able to hold in the bed and also tow behind it. I would just like to get the bed a little lower so that it will be slightly easier to load dirt bikes and also my sport bikes into the back without such a steap incline. Any suggestions would be great or concerns like the drive shaft maybe going too deap into the tranny since the axle will be higher up etc. Any idea how much lower the truck will be in the back then currently. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
That's a tricky one. Might have to get marc on this and see what he'd know...he seems more of a motor guy but i'm not sure. I would think that it might give you some vibration in the drive line if you have a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing. But i'm not the expert!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I was wondering about that. I looked at it when i got home and its actually 4 leafs with another bigger leaf on the bottom so actully 5 leafs in all. It is a 2pc drive shaft and I would prefer that it not vibrate any more then it already does My first diesel.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

adding usually isnt a problem other than maybe a little driveline vibration, but taking leafs out can really affect handling and ride....i wouldnt reccomend it......Marc
Old 04-03-2006, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Well looks like you got your answer! lol
Old 04-04-2006, 03:16 AM

the lower fatter leaf is just a beefier one, and i think pretty hardto remove without taking everything off. a helper spring would be on top of the stack and bends way up from the rest and catches two plates on the frame when loaded heavy...sounds like you don't have those...why don't you raise the front instead of messing with your payload?

wes
Old 04-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. I actually dont want to raise the truck at all as I am trying to make it easier to get bikes into the back. I will see about just getting a longer ramp that will give a smoother angle. I wasnt really worried about the back end sticking up higher then the front. Thanks guys I'm going to leave it stock height.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:51 PM

Do you have a block between the springs and the axle??? I was just wondering because if you did you could take the block all together or put a shorter one in.
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.