Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Installing Carr Steps on my 97 OBS

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  nra1ifer 
#1 ·
I looked at a truck that had them installed and I saw two screws that were drove vertically into the frame and that is how they were secured to the truck. Were those existing holes? Will I have to drill holes to mount these steps?

They seem to be reasonably priced and seem to fit the OBS which not all do.

Any comments?

#5 ·
I have them on my truck and contrary to what the others say, I think they're nice. They're solid and don't bend under my load (~200 pounds). They do mount to the bottom of the door frame. The innermost mounts use self-tapping screws that come up along the door sill (where the wiring harnesses are) and the outermost use carriage bolts through a very beefy strip of metal. I had to drill 4 holes per step to make them work and they look great. Good luck.

#6 ·
Ditto here. I have installed Carr Super Hoops (the 20"-long ones) on my 1995 F250. my 1981 Bronco, and my FIL's 1994 F150. I/we love them, and they are a very high-quality product.

#7 ·
I had them on my 97 f250, powder coated white, they looked good and functioned well, but I didn't like drilling holes in my door sills

#8 ·
I have had them on several different pickups they are way more solid on a obs ford than anything else. I would go with nothing but I get tired of the complaining when other people get in my pickups.

#9 ·
Maybe they should take their own cars then :poke

#11 ·
Yeah I tell them that. Can be rough on the dating life when you tell the women to quit b$&@in and get in. Lol

#10 ·
Another vote here for a PISS PORE step. It bolts the the pretty much flat sheet metal rocker that has no provisions for a 10" step to twist the crap out of it. I have seen quite few drecks with those steps that have cracks in the rackers that started at the holes drilled to mount them

#13 ·
I do like the Super Hoops (the 20" version of the PISS POOR one, probably helps avoid the twisting effect), but after reading through some of these posts I can acknowledge that some reinforcement could help. I have some scrap bar stock in my pile o'stuff that comes to mind that would work nicely. I plan on keeping my 1995 PSD and our 1981 Bronco forever, so anything I can do to preserve it is welcome.

#12 ·
I tell my wife that often, although I got my steps Kause she was prego and had a hard time getting in and out of my stock height 4x4 f250 :hehe:

#14 ·
The new ones have a strap that lays on the rocker for more support

#15 ·
Yes, the ones I installed have an approximately 1" x 2" x 1/8" piece of bar stock that a large carriage bolt goes through. It seems to work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.