Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Above the door paint repair help

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  speeddemon31176 
#1 ·
The original owner of my truck had an antenna mounted to the gutter that is above the side windows on OBS trucks. The spot where the antenna was mounted is now rusty. Also, the paint in the gutters on both sides have a crack running down the length of the gutter. I've seen this area rust real bad on OBS trucks and I want to repair the paint to prevent it. Has anybody attempted doing this or would it be better to take it to a paint shop?

#2 ·
I have the same issue on my drip trays. Got some rust running down each side and I had a local body shop give me a quote for $1000 to do the repair. Sounds really high to me. Hopefully some one can chime in that has had this done before and give us a better idea of what is involved.

#4 ·
:bump::bump:

I would like to have the body shop install some cab lights while they are repairing the rust spots. I am just a little nervous about putting holes in the ruff of my truck.

#5 ·
The cracks your seeing is in the Seam Sealer, and what the body shop will do is:

1. They will grind out all the old stuff, and put new in, then repaint.

OR

2. Put another layer over, and paint.

Whichever is faster, so probably #2. You can do that yourself if you have any kind of Prep knowledge, and ask the guy at the body shop about the sealer itself, and what you need to do to make it stick and seal.

If you want, sand the rusty spot down to clean, bare, metal, and apply touch up paint. If your on a budget. Or, take it to the auto body shop, and spend a good bit of cash to fix a small spot.

Ive got a rusty spot on my roof I need to fix from something rubbing it, What? I have no idea, but its gonna rust thru sometime so I gotta fix it.

#7 ·
You need to purchase a tube of seam sealer and get some sandpaper with grits of 220 to start with and depending on how nice you want it to turn out you can go to a finish of 600-1000 grit. If you run into rust issues as long as you only have surface rust you can sand down to good metal and use a quality primer to cover the bare metal. Use the seam sealer to repair the cracks. Let it cure and then sand smooth. Apply a coat of primer and let it dry then you can apply a few thin coats of paint allowing for flash times(read can as brands vary). Allow final coat to flash and then apply clearcoat in a few coats. Give the clear time to cure(a day or two) Then you can wetsand with 2000 to get a nice finish. Hope that helps.

#9 ·
It would depend on how much you want done. I would say that if you just wanted the roof done, you are looking at around 800-1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.