Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
38 gal tanks

**Meant 32 gal in title**

Anyone ever install these tanks?

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Above is the rear tank, i understand the spare tire mounting will change either by relocation or using all thread rod to extend the spare mount lower.

Could have sworn i saw a 32 or 30 gal fromt option somewhere before but anyway.

I need to replace my rear filler neck due to a crack and it dumping fuel anything above half tank in a right hand turn. Its easier if not the only way to get that filler neck replaced by dropping the rear tank and if im pulling that crusty thing down i want to put something better in place.

I drive long distances at times and would like to have higher fuel cap so i know this tank will fit in place of my old rear but on to my question....

Has anyone done this and what did they do for the fuel pick up?

I want to swap to efuel eventually and this i think would be good prep work for the swap. I was figuring using the gas pick up/sending unit to be able to draw from the bottom and not use a stupid shower head, this would give me full draw and a good sending unit to get full reading sweeps. The plan was to just run the pickup line to the factory fuel line and the return the same and later when and if i find a front 30 or higher cap replacement do the same. From there i could run a nice quality elec diesel pump on the frame between the selector valve and engine.

Anyone ever see a higher cap front tank?

I like the thought of having more fuel in the factory locations.

97 toredor red metallic f350 XLT CCLB ZF5 7.3 4wd
HPO X-over, riff raff up pipes, 1.00 housing, WWII, 3" dp, 4" exhaust, Tymar intake, riff raff boots, 6.0 fan, tow pig in progress

15 white wrangler jku auto 4" MOPAR lift, fox remote res shocks, fox dampner, black rufino nitros, sun shades, hand grips, floor mats, blah ,blah.

00 Dutchman classic 30' 5er
GN attachment in pin box, new roof compliments of wood rot due to leaks, updating interior currently a work in progress.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm actually planning to do something with the rear tank as well at some point. What I am TRYING to find is a tank out of an E series ambulance. It's already diesel and ready to go. And with some mods it should fit pretty easily. And I believe that tank could be up to 37 gallons depending on the rig it came from. Just have to talk to some ambulance folks and see if I can get one.

In torque I Trust!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Cant you just order one off rockauto for an ambulance package?

Id be interested to see that also.

HPO X-over, riff raff up pipes, 1.00 housing, WWII, 3" dp, 4" exhaust, Tymar intake, riff raff boots, 6.0 fan, tow pig in progress

15 white wrangler jku auto 4" MOPAR lift, fox remote res shocks, fox dampner, black rufino nitros, sun shades, hand grips, floor mats, blah ,blah.

GN attachment in pin box, new roof compliments of wood rot due to leaks, updating interior currently a work in progress.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Installed a F26E 38 gallon tank in mine and one of my son's truck. Getting ready to install one in my other son's and a friends truck. Have not seen anything bigger for a front tank except for the really high dollar aero tanks.

Jack

97 F250 Xlt, built E4od, D60 swap, Baby swamps, tunes by Dp
1.0 housing w/ wwII, 203* t-stat, diy 6637, 4" exhaust
Diy intercooled, 6.0 fan, Diy 140v Idm, Isspro Ev gauges
On board air, 38 Gal rear tank, E-fuel, 6" lift on 35's
322000 miles
post #5 of 9 Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
IIRC, someone shoehorned an SD tank (they only have the midship tank, something like 30 gal) in place of the front tank of an OBS. It was a 2WD truck, so I don't know if it would work with a 4x4, on account of both TC/axle clearance and the skid plate. It hung down pretty low as well. Don't remember which site I saw it on, unfortunately.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

I can imagine the sd tank would hang a deal lower in our frames cause the sd frame rails are taller than ours.

I guess it would hang about as much a difference as the F26E does on the rear. Im just looking for better range on trips than what ford graced us with.

Thanks though jack for posting that part number cause a quick search led me to a few good write ups on modifying the pickup and sending unit.

One of these days ill get my hands on a 05 sd roller chassis, bust out a welder and plasma and get the obs body to fit on that roller for the best of both. Coil spring front, heavier rated frame that wont twist like ours do, and imho the best looking body ford made. Unfortunatly id end up with unit bearings which are fine i just cant pull them out and service them or replace on the cheap and easy, and im a fan of cheap(more so cost efficient for what said item is over its lifetime than cheap), easy is a bonus, but the biggest thing for me with timkens is i wont have to worry about discontinued parts from ford if they go bad, i can order from anywhere online or any bearing shop.

Granted units are more user friendly as a bolt in and go kinda thing versus timkens that you gotta make sure are greased right and not over greased, set the proper preload and torque, but if you know what your doing or know how to follow a manual its easy enough.

Anyway back on topic.

Last edited by That Other Guy; 09-21-2016 at 05:28 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure if any one cares, but i installed a 38 gallon tank from an '87 short bus on the rear of my '94 f350 (cc, lb, 4x4) and another 38 gallon tank on the front. i had previously installed a titan tank on my '08 super duty, and after having that factory tank laying around for a while, i started having issues with the fuel tank selector valve on my '94. i pulled that factory tank out of the way for whatever reason, and then for kicks in giggles i stuck the '08 tank on the '94 and was surprised that the factory '08 skid plate bolted up to 3 of the 4 locations in the '94, so then i rigged the 4th and installed the tank, the only issue was having to re-plumb the filler neck.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as for clearance, i have not had any issues, even though the front tank does hand a bit lower. and yes, i get stuck in the snow pretty often, and have to drive the creeks and washes pretty often to get cattle rounded up and loaded out, but never had an issue with the tank hanging up on something or the truck high centering and smashing the tank.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Would you mind taking some side profile pics of the tank then further back of the whols side of the truck as perspective of walking up to it from the side.

Curious as to how low it actually hangs.

Granted my truck isnt an offroad rig but i as well lften get in pastures and dont want to hang the tank if i swap the fronts on a sharp breakover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode