Transmission Cooler bypass valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Cooler bypass valve

I was thinking about upgrading to a Tru-Cool 4739 MAX in my 96 psd. From here http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=205
I understand that I need to order the model which comes with the thermal bypass valve. But I can't find any information on the valve itself. Like at what temperature does the valve open. And is it really that necessary up here in NJ.
Last fall I replaced my stock 2 tube and fin cooler with a plate cooler out of a 2002 ranger (looks about half the size of the trucool). The cooler has maxed out at 150* so far and its just the start of the summer. I really don't wanna see anything above 140*.
So yah I basically decided to upgrade to the trumax 4739 but I would like as much info as possible about the bypass valve.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

I removed my bypass valve all together. I am using a 6.0 trans cooler, and all braided line. I'll post some pics for ya to look at.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
CHUCK, what size fittings did you use to connect the braided lines to the trans?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the pics CHUCK. I remember hearing about putting a 6.0 cooler into the OBS. So you don't you a bypass valve at all? How much different is the 6.0 cooler compared to the tru-cool I posted above. Is there also a price difference? I would imagine I would have to go to ford, ebay, or my local auto salvage.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Chuck, how do you remove the bypass valve? Where is it located? When my trans went out I know the bypass valve wasn't working. I could place my hand on the lines and they were cool and trany was red hot. I don't see a reason for that valve in the first place.

Vega1
Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good pics Chuck! How warm does it run with that cooler?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Maybe it wasent a bypass valve at all. I take pics of what I did remove. The cooler lines were installed by the previous owner, they were SS braided lines. If I recall, the fitting at the rear of the trans, was a check valve. Its gone.

As far as what fittings...I dont rember the exact size. The new cooler line is #8 braided line. The rubber hose from the bottom fitting, is rated for transmission fluid. I was using regular rubber hose for coolant...bad idea, the trans fluid "eats" the coolant hose, and starts to weep through it.I had to scrounge up fittings from a forklift/ hydrolic dealer here in town. I wound up taking the old fittings with me, along with the new cooler lines and explaining to them what I was wanting to do.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

I havent seen over 150. That was towing a 16' steel car trailer with a 1996 tourus behind me, running 70-75mph for about 50 miles. No real inclines, but it was about 90 out that day. (last summer)
I know the trans was warmed up...had to run about 10 miles for the trailer, then 10 miles back for the car, then the 50 mile trip to unlaod the car and then back empty.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats pretty good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.