E-4od slaming into 3rd gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E-4od slaming into 3rd gear

I've got a 97F350 4x4 with the e-4od and 160,000miles.I do work the truck ,like i haul trailers,and do comercial snow plowing but i dont abuse it.
After this winter i noticed that when shifting from 2-3 it will tack high and if i dont let off then it will SLAM into third i mean enough that it will nock my coffe out of the cup holder.Even if i dont get into the throttle hard it will still slam into 3rd just not as violently. I did a trans fluid and filter service once winter was over i used a tranny machine and did a complete fluid change.
It did not make any difference. I removed the BullyDog chip which did not do anything to make it better. And have not been able to communicate with the PCM with scanner to see if there are any codes. dont know if the two problems are connected. All i know is every tranns guy i ask says that the trans is gone.Is it? As far as the PCM problem i have tested all wires at OBD2port and have power and ground and also tested wires from obd2 port to the pcm and they are ok. and i tried scaning it with the bullydog chip removed.
Looking for advise on what i should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dieseltorkin
Depending on which bullydog you had installed, they lock up the torque converter in third and forth. Sounds like possibly a bad converter, and/or clutches are going out causing the slip. IMO
Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 PM

I'd be looking for the pcm comm problem. If it's in limp home the trans will shift with max line pressure.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i talked to bullydog tech line and they told me that i had to remove the chip in order for the scanner to communicated ,i did and still no communication. They also said that the chip does raise the line pressure a little, i did notice that with the chip disconected that it would still slam into 3rd but not as bad. This shifting problem comes and goes when it wants to which is the biggest hair puller. when it acts up there is no consistency other then it only happening when going from 2nd-3rd.
The programer is the 6 position chip that plugs directly into the computer.1is stock,2-5 different power settings,6 is high idle.
We dont want to rebuild the tranny untill we know for certain that it is not an electrical gremlin.
Any & All imput is greatly appreciated Thank You.

Last edited by cummings; 05-05-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dieseltorkin
I would look into your com problem first and go from there. Could be something as simple as a chassis ground. You can also do a poor mans reboot, unhook all your battery connections, let it sit for 10-20 min and hook them back up. With your chip unhooked of course.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM

I'm not meaning to hijack your thread but I've been experiencing a very similar situation with my 97. I went to my tranny man and he scanned and it came up with a generic transmission slip code. If I clear the code by either unhooking the battery or clearing it with the scanner it will shift fine for anywhere between 15 to 150 miles and then go back to shifting hard and flashing the O/D off light. The strange part is that every few times I start my truck, the whole hard shifting thing disappears. My tranny guy said the only sure way to get rid of the code is to get it rebuilt for which he charges minimum $1400.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 AM

You need to find a "tranny guy" that knows more than just rebuild procedures.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i'll try the "poor mans reboot" and let you know.
I also should say that i have not had the OD light flash at all, no check engine light either.
My friend thats helping me wants to figure out my electrical problems first.He thinks the trans is getting weak but doesn't feel all of my problems are just the trans. The only problem is that he is not that familliar with the E4od.
As far as hijackin my thread no problem with me, any information is good information.

Last edited by cummings; 05-06-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.