Need Info about tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Info about tranny

well, I think my tranny is going out. I'm short on time and can't look at all the posts. could someone let me know if there is anything special about the DIESEL E4OD?

4X4 F250 auto is what i have. could i use a gas one as long as it was 4x4. i need to know quick so i can tell the salvage yard. i may buy a used one, drop it in and rebuild the one i have better. is this a good idea? any suggestions, comments would be great, i can't do the $4000 for a rediculous 900hp, who the heck needs hat?

i need to know what i could, should do to make a slightly build one that will never see over 300 hp and or tow more than 15,000lb. HELP!!!!

And thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 AM

I don't believe a gas will hold up To the torque.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Cynic

For that 97, there is 1 auto trans.

The E40D out of a 95-97 f250 or f350 powerstroke.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 AM

what about any differences

what are the differences between a gas and a diesel transmission E4OD? Torque converters? i've always heard that the reason that they were trouble was that Ford put the gas trannies in the diesels and the diesels don't rev enough to push the pressure up. i may be wrong, i know that was true for the dodges though.

i went to the salvage yard and they say that the transmissions say "97 only" or "96 only" or "94-95 only". I know they don't know all, and just look it up on the computer, but what is up with that? I need to know so if i come across a parts truck or used tranny off someone, i'll know if it works or not. Thanks guys, about to pull my hair out, cause i don't have a lot of cash to throw at a fully built BTS or other tranny.

I guess no one here really knows about trannies? No offense, i don't either, guess that's why people take them to get them fixed. I've asked the question before about a basic tranny, would it be a good thing to throw an aftermarket TC on there ONLY and expect good results or what the heck do i need to be asking these trans. builders to do?

i hope yall understand, i'm about to burn a lot of dough on this thing and don't want or need to wish i had done something else or better. I can't afford a BTS or really anything over $1600 bucks. I'll take it out and put it in, but I can't rebuild it!!! I hate when i can't do stuff myself!!

Boys, I really appreciate the help. Just kinda panicking.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
what are the differences between a gas and a diesel transmission E4OD? Torque converters? i've always heard that the reason that they were trouble was that Ford put the gas trannies in the diesels and the diesels don't rev enough to push the pressure up. i may be wrong, i know that was true for the dodges though.

i went to the salvage yard and they say that the transmissions say "97 only" or "96 only" or "94-95 only". I know they don't know all, and just look it up on the computer, but what is up with that? I need to know so if i come across a parts truck or used tranny off someone, i'll know if it works or not. Thanks guys, about to pull my hair out, cause i don't have a lot of cash to throw at a fully built BTS or other tranny.

I guess no one here really knows about trannies? No offense, i don't either, guess that's why people take them to get them fixed. I've asked the question before about a basic tranny, would it be a good thing to throw an aftermarket TC on there ONLY and expect good results or what the heck do i need to be asking these trans. builders to do?

i hope yall understand, i'm about to burn a lot of dough on this thing and don't want or need to wish i had done something else or better. I can't afford a BTS or really anything over $1600 bucks. I'll take it out and put it in, but I can't rebuild it!!! I hate when i can't do stuff myself!!

Boys, I really appreciate the help. Just kinda panicking.
That made me laugh.

internals are different.
converters are different.
case is different.

I've already stated that you need to find a e40d out of another powerstroke.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 AM

there ya go!

that's the kind of info i needed. didn't mean to offend, seriously. i just don't whip the credit card to buy stuff for my truck and need to know this stuff to make the cheapest, wisest decision. always seeing and coming across possible parts trucks and like to know how much of it is useful to me. I just asked the question about trannies like 5 times and no answered, you just see this stuff like $1200 Torque converters, $200 tranny pans, $500 billet flywheels, billet input shafts, output shafts, etc. and i don't think i really need all that stuff for my stock injector, non-intercooled, 250,000 mile powerstroke that i need to last me for the next millenium. U know? don't get me wrong, i'd love to have it, but if i had $4300 for a BTS tranny, i'd drop a built 12 valve in my truck with a 6-speed and still come out ahead probably. thanks for all yalls help. it just seems like for trannies, as i look through the posts, everyone just says "bought one from BTS" or "on order." it seems like its get one for 900HP and be done with it. Or get a piece of crap, and deal with that a few times, and then get a BTS. I may be heading in that direction, but there isn't much stuff like, "my tranny had 100,000 on it, I put in a such and such Torque converter and it made everything so much better." Or " I switch over the valve body and put in a shift kit in my stock tranny and it has lasted 150,000 miles." Boys, i just try to really watch myself on this stuff and that's what i meant by "i guess no one really knows about trannies" Heck, i know i don't.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Cynic

I do recommend a BTS valve body, 40K trans cooler, and $1200 converter. A stock powerstroke can kill a OEM converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.