Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 E4OD odd shifting

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Grebesbakery 
#1 ·
Helping a Buddy out with his 97 F250 E4OD. When cold everything works fine. After about 40 miles, stays in 1 gear until throttle is lifted, or manually shifted into 2nd gear. Goes into 2nd, then when shifted into drive, goes into drive then right into OD. Shifter light is working and not blinking. New VSS installed in rearend. Goes back to normal shifting if left sit for a 1/2 hr or so. Then pattern repeats after about 30-40 miles. This is a new to him truck. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#4 ·
Not yet, gonna try that this weekend.

#5 ·
Whats the temp of the tranny after 40 miles?

My 96' is rough when its cold. When it use to get hot like 180+ after about 20 mins of driving I would lose all drive gears but keep reverse. I had to let it cool back down to retrieve my gears... I had no clue what was happening. Though it was toast but it did it quite a few times when it got that hot but I would always get my gears back.

I don't know if it was the fluid level... But I did change the filter and fluid and add a bigger cooler. Now it's fine and the temp never go above 120-140 *140 if there's a lot of stopping*

#7 ·
i have has two trannys that have done the same thing. i have not lost any gears but shifts alot better when cold. the first tranny ended up blowing the bolts from the TC that hold the F/P on so i swaped out everything new tranny TC and FP. put it in and still the same shifting. the next thing i am going to do is get a better tranny cooler and see what happens.

#8 ·
OK GUYS AND OR GALS, I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM WITH THE SHIFTING ISSUE!!!!!

I WAS READING ON OTHER FORUMS AND FOUND THAT IT MIGHT BE THE CPS. SO I WHEN AND SPENT $25 AND FIVE MINUTES OF WORK AND WAL AH, SHIFTS GREAT!!! I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. I READ ALOT ABOUT THE SAME SHIFTING PROBLEM AND THIS FINALLY WORKED. PLEASE TRY AND POST YOUR RESULTS.

#10 ·
Cam position censor

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.