could changing trans fluid and filter wipe out trans? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
could changing trans fluid and filter wipe out trans?

Bought the truck with 133,000 on it. I want to change trans fluid and filter but I don't know if it's ever been changed before. I've had a couple of guys tell me that I could wipe it out by doing so. What do you guys think? I've got 158,000 on her now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Sometimes yes. @ 158,000 it might be a little dicey. Take a look @ the colour and smell. Light brown with a hint of burn smell, you should be o.k. I STRONGLY suggest using Lucas transmission treatment when changing the fluid. Dump the bottle in the bottem of the pan before bolting her up. ( Very, very thick stuff ) I've used it in every tranny I've owned, and their product works exactly as they say it does. Don't use any other type of over the counter crap, though. If your fluid is black and stinks badly, don't bother. Wait untill you got a problem, then yank her out.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Basically the story is....If it craps out when you change the fluid and filter it was on borrowed time anyway and was just waiting for the slightest thing to kill it. I would never hesitate to drop the pan and change the fluid/filter. (I guess you could say "That which does not kill it, only makes it stronger. Hahaha) I would however shy away from the back flush that some shops like to do without ever dropping the pan or changing the filter. That's my .02.
-Aaron
Old 03-14-2009, 03:53 PM

the color is reddish brown and doesn't smell burnt at all. should be safe? by the way Tex I just added Lucas trans treatment along with some trans fluid recently. she was a little low. that stuff is thick like molasses!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM

hey Green,you say roll the dice and change it? I just want peace of mind knowing that there is fresh fluid and filter in there. But I don't want to wipe out trans.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:14 PM

Change away!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

I'm kind of suprised no one else has chimed in. Usually there are people jumping all over to tell you if it craps out it was going to go any way. I can't promise anything, but I know if it was mine I would be doing it now, before it smelled burnt and anything got any worse. FWIW my trans made it to 134,000 before it went out (about 2,000 miles after I bought it.) well, I think it was actually the torque converter, but I bit the bullet and got ALL new Suncoast parts. I don't think the guy that owned it before me ever changed the fluid (it was reddish brown and DID smell burnt) and it went before I could get it changed.
-Aaron
Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I changed fluid(dropped pan) and replaced filter... started truck... didnt move. maybe just a freak thing, but now I have a failed TC and tranny pump.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I havent changed mine but mine started acting weird today. I have a thread on it if anyone thinks that they can help!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Emergency Services

i was going to have mine flushed, but read a thread couple days ago that advised not to. just to have the filter and fluid changed. they said that power flushing it was not good for these tranny's i always thought it was good to have it flushed to get all the crap out of the converter, and modulator valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.