Reverse shutter 1-1.5k+ rpms. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reverse shutter 1-1.5k+ rpms.

Well I have had a little problem with my transmission about a year ago. Where I had a leak and the hotter the transmission got (160-180 degrees) the transmission would quit working. Losing all forward gears but keeping reverse. Every time this happened I either let it cool down or re add a little more fluid and the transmission would slowly regain gears. I finally fixed the leak and the problems went away. I always though of lose of forward gears was due to low fluid and hot temps. So I fixed the leak on the pan and went on problem free for a few months in till my temp gauge reached 180+ and it happened again. I waited till it cooled down and everything returned to normal.

Now towards the end of last summer I got around to replacing my tranny cooler. Now since then normal trips I would take and have my tranny getting up to around 160+ only go to 120-140. But there's another weird thing that's happening recently. When I reach these temps 120-140 and I go into reverse I get a weird shutter when giving it gas. Only seems to happen at 1k+ rpms in reverse. All other gears world perfectly with no slippage. If I go into reverse and take is easy it acts fine. But as soon as I give it a little foot it moans and shutters (not a violent shaking of the truck shutter, just a little vibration). Its really odd. I haven't had a lost of gears since before I updated my cooler last summer.

This problem only seems to happen when its warm and the tranny reads around 120-140. When I first take the truck out during the day and go into reverse its fine. Just happens when it gets warm. I'm scared to push it hard when it does this lol. Maybe I can get a video with the noise later on.

Thanks for anyone's help in advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

check your parking brake. make sure it's not dragging. have had this problem in the shop a hundred times.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinaldo33 View Post
check your parking brake. make sure it's not dragging. have had this problem in the shop a hundred times.
Will do. Today I went out for a nice drive the tranny stayed near 130. When to a friends house and tried to back up a small hill, maybe 5ft 45degr incline and the truck didn't like it at all... Started to shake a little bit so I quit didn't want to push it.

Went home and let the truck sit for about 20 minutes. The temp dropped to 110 even. Put her in reverse and backed right up a 15 foot probably about 35 degree incline. No problems at all :\ even was able to spin the tires without any shuttering or vibration.

But i will take a look at the p-bark. It only seems to do this when around 120-130 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.