torque converter won't lock up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
torque converter won't lock up

I have a 96 f350 psd. It has 272,000 miles, trans was rebuilt at 150,000. I have had intermittant problems with the torque converter not locking up. I would get it scanned when the light would flash and no codes would come up. Sometimes it would unlock when I hit a big bump. I cleaned the electrical plug on the trans and it would be good for a while. Now it won't lock up at all. A few times last week it would lock up after the light would start to flash. Do I need a new torque converter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hoofy, if it were me I'd revisit that plug and make sure it's right, i.e. all the pins making proper connection. My experience with my own truck was that some of the male pins in that plug were pushed too far 'in' to the plug (away from the female socket pins) and not making contact with the socket on the transmission. This caused various issues, but the main symptom was the T/C would unlock, then lock up again randomly as I was running down the road. One or more of the pins were making poor, intermittent contact. I wound up pushing the pins back into position and the problem resolved. Of course this same symptom--or worse, never locking up--could be caused by any issue that prevents the pins from making proper contact between the plug, and socket--simply not touching (like mine), corrosion on the pins, debris (mud) in the plug, etc...

Seeing as you've already had some issues with the same plug, I'd look there first. Sure no guarantee that's it, but it's the place to start looking, to my way of thinking. Good luck.

Alan
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how did you get yourself in there to see the pins on the transmission end. The female part is on the plug part with the wires and the male is on the trans. The frame and exhaust are in the way. I put dye electric grease in there and it got better for about one day then didn't lock up at all.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was the pins on the plug that were pushed back into the plug. They are female. I forgot. My harness had enough slack in it once it was pulled off the tranny, I could move it around so I could see it and work on it.

Mine is still pretty ratty. The insulation on the harness is frayed on the end where the plug is so that it's basically no more than about a hundred strands hanging down, like dreadlocks, over the plug. But it works.

During my trouble-shooting and repair, before I got all the pins properly seated, I had every symptom you can think of with the trans. It shifted like a bucking bronco, I had to back off the gas to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd, it wouldn't lock the T/C at all, it wouldn't go into 1st gear--all these things at various moments in the repair process, depending I suppose on which pins weren't making contact...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i believe this is the problem with my new truck, its a 95, but it wont shift at all, i pulled the plug on the pass side of the tranny, and its pretty corroded. the problem is the guy before me told me he tried to clean it and broke one of the male pins off. what can i do to repair that? does anyone know how the plug is mounted into the tranny?

any help would be SWETCH.

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.