Manual gears blocked/grinding... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Manual gears blocked/grinding...

So my manual 1997 F-250 4x4 has a few shifting issues.
1st, 2nd & 5th gears shift great.

3rd gear is stiff to get into gear: I upshift & it feels like it's "blocked" for a second before it slides into gear with no grinding then the shift is smooth.

From neutral (coasting) to 4th gear sometimes grinds.

At a dead stop reverse grinds randomly about 10% of the time for seemingly no rhyme or reason.

I just bought the truck & have not had a chance to check the transmission fluid yet. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM

After watching a bunch of troubleshooting videos online it seems that I need to change out the transmission oil first before I do anything major like getting a new clutch, flywheel &/or synchros.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:38 AM

that sounds like a plan to me... if its still doing it, Ive got a couple questions...

1.) clutch pedal smooth all the way through the swing? If not check the bushing, fairly common, lil plastic bushing tends to wear out. Used to sell them in a 2 pack for like $5 at ford, or you can pull the assembly and drill it and replace the whole bushing set up with a bolt and washers...

2.)does it grind every time going to 4th/reverse or just once in awhile?

As for the 3rd gear issue, sounds like the clutch isn't fully engaging, and i'll once again have to reference you to question 1.

The bushing is the easy fix, if its not that, then we need to start looking toward the mechanics of the clutch and pumps and what not. Nice part about the manual transmissions, not much can go wrong with them, diagnostics on them are simple.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
that sounds like a plan to me... if its still doing it, Ive got a couple questions...

1.) clutch pedal smooth all the way through the swing? If not check the bushing, fairly common, lil plastic bushing tends to wear out. Used to sell them in a 2 pack for like $5 at ford, or you can pull the assembly and drill it and replace the whole bushing set up with a bolt and washers...

2.)does it grind every time going to 4th/reverse or just once in awhile?

As for the 3rd gear issue, sounds like the clutch isn't fully engaging, and i'll once again have to reference you to question 1.

The bushing is the easy fix, if its not that, then we need to start looking toward the mechanics of the clutch and pumps and what not. Nice part about the manual transmissions, not much can go wrong with them, diagnostics on them are simple.
Great advice.
1.) Clutch pedal feels smooth.
2.) 4th grind turned out to be a one off coasting neutral-to-4th miss shift. Reverse still occasionally grinds. However, as someone suggested in the forums, when fully stopped with the clutch pedal held down shift into a gear (eg. 1st) then into reverse & engage; it never grinds. This worked for me. What could this mean?
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:35 AM

honestly... what that is is the spindle not lining up quiet right in the tranny... simple solution to it is a bad syncro-ring or at least what I'd call a lazy one... not quiet gone, but not quiet working right either... lol Honestly if thats the only one your having issues with, wouldn't sweat it just yet... let her ride it'll cost more to open up the tranny and find out then it worth at the moment. Keep an eye on it... both my half ton chevy 5 speed and my power stroke 5 speed do that...

if you get, in the clutch swing, where it feels a little off about half way through like its got a hole its falling into... this oddly isn't far from the truth, the plastic bushing on the swing arm is falling apart... takes 2 seconds to change it once it wears out... thats why I asked that question... that little bit of room can keep the clutch from fully engaging properly and cause your 4th grind from time to time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.