OD light flashing, hard shift and slipping. NEED HELP WITH DD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OD light flashing, hard shift and slipping. NEED HELP WITH DD

So I just bought a 1996 f350 not to long ago. The other day I was driving home from work and went to change lanes and speed up. When I did so it acted as if it was in neutral. Looked down and my OD light was flashing then I let off and coasted and it did it again. Then all of a sudden it stopped. Was fine for about 5 minutes then did it again but this time as the Rpms just really it it shifted extremely hard. I got to where I was going to check the fluid it wasn't low it's bright red. Couple hours later I had to drive home and it was perfectly fine. The OD light stopped flashing as well. Went to leave for work the next day and it acted as if it was in neutral again and shifted even harder but no flashing OD light. I'm new to the power stroke world and need some help as this is my daily driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Probably worth taking it to a transmission shop to pull codes, but that sounds like it may be getting towards "Needs a rebuilt" time.

The OD light flashing should mean there are codes to pull that will get you more detail on what, exactly, failed. But it sounds like bands aren't engaging properly.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

E40D

I have a 95 F 350 with a rebuilt E40D about 5000 miles ago and never had any problems with it. The other day, though, I was headed up to the mountains unloaded at 45mph tranny temp at 145 EGT at 700 and my OD light started flashing. Had the code read and it said I had one silnode of the three on the modular dead. Getting a new modular on Monday. If I were in your shoes I would get the codes read also.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a rear brake/blinker bulb burnt out and when I hit the left tun signal (to accelerate and pass) the trans would drop out of 'torque converter lock up' and the engine would rev, though not like it was in neutral. This is very common with our truck and transmissions...brake bulbs, blinker bulbs, even the "third light" on the back of the cab, all affect these transmissions. LEDs in any of these positions have to have resistors. It's all about getting the torque converter unlocked to keep the engine running in a panic braking situation. Cheap thing to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.