Quick Question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick Question.

I have a 97 E4od 3/4 ton. 4x4. It slams into 3rd and the abs light comes on after a certain speed (maybe 12 mph). When your accelerating it will shift in O.D. and then shift right back out. My ABS light stays on, cruise dont work, the speedo jumps around and ive done some reading and i found out the e4ods have a VSS sensor on the trannie. Where the hell is this thing?? HAHA i guess it looks like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390823316921...84.m1439.l2648
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The VSS is on top of rear differential ,it feeds off a sprocket inside the rear .Get the speedometer working should improve the shifts . Replacing the sensor and changing the fluid ( suspended particles can interfere ) got mine to smooth out .Also check the wiring real good too .
Brake light bulbs malfunctioning can cause erratic shifting too .When the brakes are applied the OD is released .
Old 06-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Okay i Checked the wiring really good. Everything seems fine. What brand sensors are compatible with my truck? I heard that some sensors make the speedo all wack... Mine dances around near 65mph now.. ill replace it i just need to know what brand.. I also heard that the actual speedo cluster can be bad too..
Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 AM

I got a oem one from my local Ford store but don't recall the price but it was affordable .It sets into a hole and the closer to the sprocket the better .The sprocket looks like a bicycle sprocket ,if any teeth are missing you will have a problem .Make sure you clear any debris from the it before anything falls into the differential .Some of these guys think the fluid has microscopic metallic pieces floating which can disrupt the signal too . The speedometer / PSOM is replaceable component without replacing the entire cluster ,kinda easy to get to . If you decide to replace the PSOM find one with the same mileage or close to it . Any F series should work from that era
Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 PM

okay. Replaced the vss sensor, and the psom. No change. Abs still comes on and it shifts exact same. Now what? I have also checked all the wires.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Check the tone ring in the diff. It's not a sprocket; the VSS simply counts notches in the ring as they go by. It's electronic, not mechanical (similar to how a bike computer works, but several counts per axle revolution). As mentioned, missing/damaged notches will throw off the VSS signal, as well as contaminated diff lube.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Check the tone ring in the diff. It's not a sprocket; the VSS simply counts notches in the ring as they go by. It's electronic, not mechanical (similar to how a bike computer works, but several counts per axle revolution). As mentioned, missing/damaged notches will throw off the VSS signal, as well as contaminated diff lube.
It's not a sprocket by definition but sure as hell looks like one but I tried to influence the PO to inspect the differential and the sprocket looking tone ring and of course change the fluid
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 PM

i forgot to mention i pulled the diff off checked the sproket looking thing and all teeth were there and then i cleaned it out and changed the fluid..
Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 PM

okay guys thought i would put an end to this story. I did some reading on why the abs light come on and i read that leds in the tailight can put it on. I also read that your brake lights are hooked up to the trannie. So i took my leds out and she shifted fine. The abs light still comes on but shell shift fine im running 1250 rpm with 3.55s and thats 4th gear. it feels so good to get a huuuggeee weight lifted off your chest. I also read that trailer connections can throw an abs light. So i still have an abs light but my trannie is working!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.