trans shifting hard and crazy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to darkshadowlander
trans shifting hard and crazy

Ok I think ive had enough of the shifting prob. Well guys heres what I got: taking off from a stop slow it shifts and runs threw the gears good, but when I give it 1/4 throttle or more it hits 2nd pretty hard and seems to shift in and out of gears or like torque convertor unlocks wierd, anyways wondered what u guys think of this. truck had a hypertech chip in it, switched to TW gave me prob with or without chips. I changed trans oil and filter not any better. I was reading around on the forum kinda was leaning toward speed sensor in rear end,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
do you have a trans temp gauge? how hot is it getting?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowlander View Post
Ok I think ive had enough of the shifting prob. Well guys heres what I got: taking off from a stop slow it shifts and runs threw the gears good, but when I give it 1/4 throttle or more it hits 2nd pretty hard and seems to shift in and out of gears or like torque convertor unlocks wierd, anyways wondered what u guys think of this. truck had a hypertech chip in it, switched to TW gave me prob with or without chips. I changed trans oil and filter not any better. I was reading around on the forum kinda was leaning toward speed sensor in rear end,
my truck acts in a similar way I think my trans or tc is on its last leg
Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 PM

it does not have a trans temp gauge hopefully weather breaks a bit have guages to put in, truck acts like this cold or warm towing or not
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
my truck acts in a similar way I think my trans or tc is on its last leg
Sadly thats sounds like an exact description of what my transmissions did shortly before they took a dump on me (Im on my 4th tranny)
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Not sure what to think of it all just somedays it shifts ok then others like crap, shifts good on certain postions on my chip sometimes.......Got a quote $2000 complete rebuild and torque convertor cheapest ive found from Earl Bros trans shop
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My sig truck has an auto, first I have ever owned.... So learning lots here and found out that if any brake, tail light or 3rd brake light is out it will unlock the TC. 3rd brake light out on mine and when I put the signal light on it would unlock the TC feeling like it down shifted. Fixed the 3rd brake light was pulling my utility trailer and a trailer light was burned out TC stayed unlocked made the truck feel very odd till I figured it out....

Just thought I would throw this out there....

jrc
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM

my truck does the same thing somedays its fine others it will shift hard but with little throttle it will shift fine. i was wondering if it could be a vaccum line thats splitting and lossing pressure idk if theres even any vaccum on these trans
Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Duraturd View Post
Sadly thats sounds like an exact description of what my transmissions did shortly before they took a dump on me (Im on my 4th tranny)
4th Tranny in how long? - Good Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcart View Post
My sig truck has an auto, first I have ever owned.... So learning lots here and found out that if any brake, tail light or 3rd brake light is out it will unlock the TC. 3rd brake light out on mine and when I put the signal light on it would unlock the TC feeling like it down shifted. Fixed the 3rd brake light was pulling my utility trailer and a trailer light was burned out TC stayed unlocked made the truck feel very odd jrc
I guess I don't understand what the lights have to do with the truck shifting gears. I would never know or to think to check the brake lights if the truck started shifting funny.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowlander View Post
Not sure what to think of it all just somedays it shifts ok then others like crap, shifts good on certain postions on my chip sometimes.......Got a quote $2000 complete rebuild and torque convertor cheapest ive found from Earl Bros trans shop
How close are you to Cincinnati? My dad has a friend who rebuilds transmissions and mine had the TC shred apart and destroyed the whole transmission. He rebuilt my whole transmission including a new TC for right around 1200. Basically the only thing left of mine was the housing. If your close to me, I'd be glad to hook you up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.