Dropping the Tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dropping the tranny

so i am doing a engine swap, and i need to drop the tranny. i can see the 4 bolts on both sides, but i can see or reach the rest of the bolts on top. how do i go about getting to them? also, the engine i am pulling out is for a 5sp. the one i am putting in, was originally for an automatic. is there something i need to make this work, or will it just bolt right up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke Techie

why do yo need to drop the tranny?? When we did it at ford we undid the two cab bolts at the front of the clip and the two cab bolts under the carpet on the passenger and drivers side floor board. then remove the fan shroud and fan, then take a jack and jack the front of cab up about 4 inches until you can stick a 2x4 on its side inbetween the cab and frame at the front of clip. That will give you room to get the bolts out of the top of the tranny and we pulled the motors without pulling the turbo also. you have to hold your mouth just right though with a manual tranny.

Then on the auto vs. manual, just need to switch everything over on the back of the motor. everythig else is the same.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when i changed the clutch on my truck i got the top bolts by taking off the floor plate in the cab and using swivels and extensions. it is a bit of a pain but i imagine it would be easier than unbolting the cab.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It's only four bolts and it takes about 5 min, and you don't have to take the turbo off or take the tranny out if you jack the cab up so it would be easier to unbolt the cab
Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

When I pulled my 5spd, I used a long 3/8" extension and swivel socket. It didn't seem difficult at all. It was one of the best I have done. I have had a lot of practice at it, though. I can have one out in 45 min. I used to have a '94.5 Superduty 5spd. We could not find the oil leak and replaced the rear main twice, oil pan three times, and replaced the clutch once. That was alot of practice for my new truck. Too bad I didn't have this site's help back then!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:49 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Moved her into the right forums
Old 12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

maybe with the SD you have to raise the cab, but like pipelayer said, I just used extensions and wobble socket (I think 19mm) and it came out pretty easy (well you know if you have three pinky's and an extra arm it's no sweat) . Honestly though it wasn't bad at all and the clutch was well worth the time
Old 12-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

are you removing the tranny because it says in the book to remove the tranny to get the engine out, or because you need to remove it for repair??? The way I read it is you are removing the tranny to replace the engine. Yes if you are removing the trans you do not to raise the cab. you can get to the bolts with a wabble and extension. What I'm saying is in the repair manual if you have a manual tranny it says to remove the tranny before the engine. So what i'm saying if that is the reason for removing the tranny you don't need to jacking the cab up is way easier than removing the tranny or removing the turbo. And on a superduty you start at the bumper and work in to remove the engine, and on the tranny there is way more clearance to get the tranny out and enigne out than there is on a OBS. So anyways hope that clears it up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.