Hardshift...overdrive OFF light flashes.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jwood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hardshift...overdrive OFF light flashes..

my 95 f250 7.3 every once in awhile will have a hard 1-2nd shift..which makes my overdrive OFF light flash on end of shifter...ive discoverd if i leave it all shifts are scary hard...but if i stop..shut truck off..turn her back on and hold the overdrive button the OFF light stays on..and truck shifts fine...its an automatic..no clue what tranny it is..im new too powerstrokes..ive been told a sensor is going out and its throwing a code which sends the trnny into limp mode..???? this happens only like every other week...but im getting redy to travel and hate for this to happen on a freeway and not be able to stop...any help would be great!!!! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Blinking OD-Off means a code is set. You'll need to find someone with a device capable of communicating with our trucks, and obtain that code.

You have an E4OD tranny, BTW.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you find out a fix for it? Mine was doing that not too long ago but it was in connection with a dead (at times) accelerator pedal and check engine light. I sprayed the sensors on the gas pedal linkage with electronic connection spray per advice on this forum and now no dead pedal, no check engine light and no flashing OD light or hard shifting. Not sure if it was all related or not?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Mine does the same, except i clear the codes with a programmer.
I may try that spray as posted above^^
Freebird likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine was due to a discrepancy between the MAP and the BARO sensor. it was also very random, i could be driving fine for a month and would act up for a week suddenly. week after that fine again, two days later bad again. i even had it switch back and forth 4 or so times within a 150 mile trip and everytime i got close to a shop with a scanner it was driving fine. after a few months of driving to shops only to run perfectly when i pulled up i just deal with it. i have learned how to drive so you don't notice the hard shifts, and when its acting up in the middle of your drive.

when i shift from park to drive the truck would jump a little and when i was stopping if i noticed the downshift from OD to 3rd was rough then it was acting up and adjust my acceleration. a few things i did to lessen the hard shift:

accelerate slowly (might be hard for some and annoy other drivers)
don't let the TC lock up until it shift to OD or 3rd with OD off ( watch trans temps. they seem to run hotter when shifting hard)
if i was in third and the TC locked up before i could get into OD i hit the off button let off the accel for 1 sec re-accel, then turned it back on. (only works from about 50 to less)

overall best advice posted was to get it tested to pinpoint the problem and fix it. after a year i was able to get it tested but at what cost to the trans? I've noticed the harsh shifts are no longer as bad as they use to be, so i'm sure i have some extra wear on my clutches.

edit: i didn't have a flashing OD light just similar symptoms

Last edited by husslr187; 04-23-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.