Won't move when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't move when cold

Today when I went to go to work I started up my truck it was -10 out. It started fine and everything, but when I went to put it in reverse it just revved up and didn't didn't move. So I put it in drive and the same thing happened. So I put it in park walked around the truck. Not that was going to help anything. So then I get back in put it in reverse and it worked fine. It drove fine all the way to work so I'm not sure what is going on. I did a brake lock with breaking the tires loose to see if the torque converter would hold rpm and that seemed fine. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well hell think about it at -10 the oil in the tranny and engine is like glue so sometimes it takes a few seconds for the tranny to catch and reduced power of a cold arse engine may not have had the torque to move much at low rpms. Did you start it and immediately try to drive because thats terrible for the engine and tranny.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can try letting it warm up longer before I move it. It didn't do this when it was -30 though. I move it pretty quickly after start up as I don't want the whole garage filled with exhaust.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrbuk View Post
I can try letting it warm up longer before I move it. It didn't do this when it was -30 though. I move it pretty quickly after start up as I don't want the whole garage filled with exhaust.
Just crack the garage door and you should be fine especially if you have the tailpipe pointed towards the door. You dont have to let it run very long but enough to get fluids all circulated and it should help. I use the glow plugs as a timer in a sense that if im in a hurry i wont ever drive until they shut off. It helps i have mine hooked to leds but you can tell when they shut off by your volt meter on the cluster. Thats like my "minimum run time"
Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's a good idea with watching the voltmeter for the glow plug shut off. I'll do that in the future. Hopefully it works. As I said earlier it drove fine otherwise it just didn't want to move cold.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrbuk View Post
That's a good idea with watching the voltmeter for the glow plug shut off. I'll do that in the future. Hopefully it works. As I said earlier it drove fine otherwise it just didn't want to move cold.
It should its very obvious when it goes from the n-o to like the a-l on the "normal" on the gauge. Yea thats normal at those temps, think about it this way do you want to go out and start running full speed at -10
Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

NEVER start ANY vehicle engine that burns hydrocabons in an unventilated garage with the door closed. Not even for a few SECONDS. You don't want to know how I know....

+1 on the GP run time; coincidence, but it's a good easy guide for warm-up time.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I always have the door wide open. The exhaust just seems to like to collect in there.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tail end toward the door, or vice-versa?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tail end towards the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.