shift linkage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
shift linkage

hey guys , my 96 is starting to give me an issue 7.3 2wd ccsb auto 212k , the problem seems to be in the shifter or shift linkage? it is loose, it has happened a few times so thought id better start asking before I get stranded , (I could have started 10 times without a hitch then bam ) The issue is ill get in truck and turn key to cycle glow plugs ,then finish the start cycle and nothing , no start ,then I mess with shifter and it starts up , gave me a hard time the other night its just out of no where , I couldn't get it to start and push pulled shifter and nothing ,I hit the sweet spot and it started , now today after oil change it did it again ,and could not find the sweet spot, but when key was turned I pulled shifter out and into N and it started ,
Is there an adjustment that can be made to tighten up the shift linkage and or eliminate the problem of no power or contact in park ? any input would be appreciated -thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It took about halfway through your post to determine that you're talking about the AUTOMATIC shift linkage. It's actually a cable. The most likely culprit is that the shifter itself is loose in the column. Slide under there and look for a couple of allen head screws that hold the shifter in place. There's a pic in one of the galleries in one of the truck forums. Anyway, see if those screws are loose and tighten them down if they are.

The other possibility is that the switch down on the tranny is out of adjustment. But if it starts in Neutral, the loose shifter is the more likely suspect.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
It took about halfway through your post to determine that you're talking about the AUTOMATIC shift linkage. It's actually a cable. The most likely culprit is that the shifter itself is loose in the column. Slide under there and look for a couple of allen head screws that hold the shifter in place. There's a pic in one of the galleries in one of the truck forums. Anyway, see if those screws are loose and tighten them down if they are.

The other possibility is that the switch down on the tranny is out of adjustment. But if it starts in Neutral, the loose shifter is the more likely suspect.
Cool man appreciate it !!! The bracket under steer column that holds cable going thru fire wall was loose 2 bolts were half way out never thought to look , thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.