E4OD woes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD woes

So, I was driving back to washington from montana, and my speedometer starts flopping all over the place. Easy fix, vss sensor right? well I went to the next napa and got a new sensor, only to find out the pigtail was messed up, causing the erratic signal. I found a new pigtail, 75 miles away at another napa, so i started driving, as soon as I got back on the highway, my od light starts flashing, and send the tranny into "way to high line pressure because im slipping" mode, now I know that these trannys don't survive long with the od light flashing, but I continued driving because I had no other option. Long story short, I replaced the pigtail, disconnected the battery cables for 15 min, and drove like 200 more miles home without an issue, or a flashing od light.

But, now my fluid is significantly darker, and I'm wondering how much this e4od has left? It is shifting fine, like it always has, but I'm worried when the trans went into "oh sh*t" mode it damaged something.

I was considering dropping the pan and swapping the filter, or maybe doing a complete fluid flush, but I'm worried since there is so much material in the fluid now that its just gonna slip if I flush it out.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

First place I'd start would be a complete flush, including the torque converter, new filter, and add a magnetic filter to the return line coming from the radiator/cooler.. like this one
Amazon.com: Raybestos Magnefine Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8": Automotive Amazon.com: Raybestos Magnefine Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8": Automotive

Then see how it acts.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Heres where I'm at with it, I"m driving back to montana next sunday. I dont want to do a flush, and then the trans decides to start slipping halfway home because so much clutch material is gone. regardless, the trans will be getting rebuilt when I get back, Should I flush the fluid, and try and get a bunch of miles on it before I head back, or do should I just drop the pan do a filter, and hope for the best. I only need like 1200 more miles out of it haha
The darn thing is shifting good still, it almost feels better then before the od light started flashing. The change in fluid color is just whats really worrying me. The fluid was a little dark before, but didnt smell burnt, but I figured it was old fluid since I just got the truck. now it almost looks like used motor oil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.