95 5-speed tranny seals going bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 5-speed tranny seals going bad

I'm a new diesel owner and don't know a lot about transmission stuff.

I got my truck back from getting the oil changed and a general inspection. Mechanic said the tranny was low on fluid and it is pushing through the rear seal. Said he had to drain some out of the transfer case and that it needs serviced. He had a list of other things that need addressed so it was kind of a whirlwind of information to take in. Hope this is enough info.

He didn't get into details with me, just told me I would need to bring it back to get the tranny serviced.

If the seals are bad do I need a tranny rebuild or is it more of a simple thing to replace the seals. The tranny shifts well, no grinding and doesn't appear to have any issues going on that I can tell.

I plan on taking it to get some mods done by a buddy's mechanic, but it is 600 miles away. Is this something that can make that far and hold up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if the trans is draining and filling the transfer case there is actually two seals that would need to be replaced. the output shaft seal on transmission and the input shaft seal on transfer. I believe the output seal can be replaced without diassembling trans. the input seal if I remember correctly needs to have the transfer case halves separated a trans rebuild will not be necessary as long as synchros are good and what not
Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay great! Thanks for the information. That helps a ton! I'm pretty sure the syncros are good.

Are the seals something that get progressively worse? I'm just wondering how much time I have until I get them replaced. It only gets driven a few times a week.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperforest83 View Post
Okay great! Thanks for the information. That helps a ton! I'm pretty sure the syncros are good.

Are the seals something that get progressively worse? I'm just wondering how much time I have until I get them replaced. It only gets driven a few times a week.
They might leak worse they might not keep an eye on levels and run it until you can fix

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to dr.deere For This Useful Post:
juniperforest83 (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 PM

How was it determined that the fluid in the transfer case had come from the transmission? The odds that the output shaft seal on the tranny and the input shaft seal on the t-case are both bad, AND that there would be nothing leaking externally from the joint between them, is close to zero.

The transmission and transfer case are mechanically no different from those behind a gasser engine.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
How was it determined that the fluid in the transfer case had come from the transmission? The odds that the output shaft seal on the tranny and the input shaft seal on the t-case are both bad, AND that there would be nothing leaking externally from the joint between them, is close to zero.

The transmission and transfer case are mechanically no different from those behind a gasser engine.
The mechanic said the transmission was low by two quarts...so I think that's how he determined it.

I probably won't take it back to him as I asked them to just look at my dead tachometer & they fixed it without calling me first. Needless to say my bill was $112 more than I was quoted for the basics. So I don't know if I can trust his opinion.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Yeah, he has no proof of the tranny fluid level. What on earth was he doing anywhere near the tranny if all he was doing was diagnosing a tachometer issue?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@madpogue "Yeah, he has no proof of the tranny fluid level. What on earth was he doing anywhere near the tranny if all he was doing was diagnosing a tachometer issue?"

This was my first post in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperforest83 View Post
I'm a new diesel owner and don't know a lot about transmission stuff.

I got my truck back from getting the oil changed and a general inspection. Mechanic said the tranny was low on fluid and it is pushing through the rear seal. Said he had to drain some out of the transfer case and that it needs serviced. He had a list of other things that need addressed so it was kind of a whirlwind of information to take in. Hope this is enough info.

He didn't get into details with me, just told me I would need to bring it back to get the tranny serviced.

If the seals are bad do I need a tranny rebuild or is it more of a simple thing to replace the seals. The tranny shifts well, no grinding and doesn't appear to have any issues going on that I can tell.

I plan on taking it to get some mods done by a buddy's mechanic, but it is 600 miles away. Is this something that can make that far and hold up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.