95 5-speed tranny seals going bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
juniperforest83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 5-speed tranny seals going bad

I'm a new diesel owner and don't know a lot about transmission stuff.

I got my truck back from getting the oil changed and a general inspection. Mechanic said the tranny was low on fluid and it is pushing through the rear seal. Said he had to drain some out of the transfer case and that it needs serviced. He had a list of other things that need addressed so it was kind of a whirlwind of information to take in. Hope this is enough info.

He didn't get into details with me, just told me I would need to bring it back to get the tranny serviced.

If the seals are bad do I need a tranny rebuild or is it more of a simple thing to replace the seals. The tranny shifts well, no grinding and doesn't appear to have any issues going on that I can tell.

I plan on taking it to get some mods done by a buddy's mechanic, but it is 600 miles away. Is this something that can make that far and hold up?



1995 F-250 XLT EC 5-Speed 7.3L 340K & Stock for now....

juniperforest83 is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
dr.deere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: jamestown, nd
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if the trans is draining and filling the transfer case there is actually two seals that would need to be replaced. the output shaft seal on transmission and the input shaft seal on transfer. I believe the output seal can be replaced without diassembling trans. the input seal if I remember correctly needs to have the transfer case halves separated a trans rebuild will not be necessary as long as synchros are good and what not

94 F-250 reg cab 4x4 5spd 7.3 stroke. 3inch downpipe, 4 in exhaust. super duty turbo with 1.0 non wastegated exhaust housing ww2 and 360 thrust kit. Intercooler, MB diesel hpop, driven diesel complete efuel, 6637 air filter, kingpin dana 60.

09 F150 Lariat crew cab 5.4L v8


dr.deere is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
juniperforest83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Okay great! Thanks for the information. That helps a ton! I'm pretty sure the syncros are good.

Are the seals something that get progressively worse? I'm just wondering how much time I have until I get them replaced. It only gets driven a few times a week.



1995 F-250 XLT EC 5-Speed 7.3L 340K & Stock for now....

juniperforest83 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
dr.deere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: jamestown, nd
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperforest83 View Post
Okay great! Thanks for the information. That helps a ton! I'm pretty sure the syncros are good.

Are the seals something that get progressively worse? I'm just wondering how much time I have until I get them replaced. It only gets driven a few times a week.
They might leak worse they might not keep an eye on levels and run it until you can fix


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

94 F-250 reg cab 4x4 5spd 7.3 stroke. 3inch downpipe, 4 in exhaust. super duty turbo with 1.0 non wastegated exhaust housing ww2 and 360 thrust kit. Intercooler, MB diesel hpop, driven diesel complete efuel, 6637 air filter, kingpin dana 60.

09 F150 Lariat crew cab 5.4L v8


dr.deere is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to dr.deere For This Useful Post:
juniperforest83 (11-24-2013)
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 126 Times in 122 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How was it determined that the fluid in the transfer case had come from the transmission? The odds that the output shaft seal on the tranny and the input shaft seal on the t-case are both bad, AND that there would be nothing leaking externally from the joint between them, is close to zero.

The transmission and transfer case are mechanically no different from those behind a gasser engine.
madpogue is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
juniperforest83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
How was it determined that the fluid in the transfer case had come from the transmission? The odds that the output shaft seal on the tranny and the input shaft seal on the t-case are both bad, AND that there would be nothing leaking externally from the joint between them, is close to zero.

The transmission and transfer case are mechanically no different from those behind a gasser engine.
The mechanic said the transmission was low by two quarts...so I think that's how he determined it.

I probably won't take it back to him as I asked them to just look at my dead tachometer & they fixed it without calling me first. Needless to say my bill was $112 more than I was quoted for the basics. So I don't know if I can trust his opinion.



1995 F-250 XLT EC 5-Speed 7.3L 340K & Stock for now....

juniperforest83 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 126 Times in 122 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, he has no proof of the tranny fluid level. What on earth was he doing anywhere near the tranny if all he was doing was diagnosing a tachometer issue?
madpogue is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
juniperforest83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@madpogue "Yeah, he has no proof of the tranny fluid level. What on earth was he doing anywhere near the tranny if all he was doing was diagnosing a tachometer issue?"

This was my first post in the thread:


Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperforest83 View Post
I'm a new diesel owner and don't know a lot about transmission stuff.

I got my truck back from getting the oil changed and a general inspection. Mechanic said the tranny was low on fluid and it is pushing through the rear seal. Said he had to drain some out of the transfer case and that it needs serviced. He had a list of other things that need addressed so it was kind of a whirlwind of information to take in. Hope this is enough info.

He didn't get into details with me, just told me I would need to bring it back to get the tranny serviced.

If the seals are bad do I need a tranny rebuild or is it more of a simple thing to replace the seals. The tranny shifts well, no grinding and doesn't appear to have any issues going on that I can tell.

I plan on taking it to get some mods done by a buddy's mechanic, but it is 600 miles away. Is this something that can make that far and hold up?



1995 F-250 XLT EC 5-Speed 7.3L 340K & Stock for now....

juniperforest83 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome