User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Trans. Grinds Rebuild?

I am looking about buying my first diesel. I am considering one OBS 350 which has something wrong with the clutch / tranny. The owner says it grinds when downshifting so he double clutches it. IIRC he said it grinds on up shifts if you shift really fast.

So it sounds like it needs new syncros. Has anyone had a shop do this rebuild for them before? how much money was spent and what were you lessons learned?

Also I think it am capable of rebuilding it myself with the help of some of my co-workers. Has anyone tackled this themselves? I would most probably drop the tranny in my driveway and rebuild it in my garage. How much money have people spent hear on rebuilding the syncros? Should I plan on doing bearings too? Should I expect some of the gears need replaced?

Mileage is roughly 200,000 miles.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Was told the same thing with my 95 with 270K on it. Transmission is fine. It's not a race car don't drive it like one and it will behave.

Now if you drive it like it's supposed to, and you are still having these issues, then it could be the synchros or the pilot bearing failing.

Steve in Central CA

2003 F350 CCSB FX4 w/ 7.3L & 4R100, Factory Tech Valve Body, DP Tuner, AIS Intake, & Banks 4" Monster Exhaust 223K MI

2002 F350 SCSB 4x4 OFF Road w/ 7.3 & 6 speed - DP Tuner, AIS Intake, MBRP 4", 218K MI

1995 F250 RCLB 7.3 & 5spd. All stock for now. 282K

78 Bronco, 72 F100 4x4, 72 F250, 86 Bronco, 78 Mercedes Benz 240D
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah that sounds like synchros failing. You can grind any gear with new synchros or old. That's just how these transmissions work. When I couldn't get my truck into first gear we went ahead and rebuilt it. The full kit and rebuild for me was right under 600 and a little over 1400 with my dual disk kit because we still had the dual mass in it. If they tell you replace the trans but haven't pulled it apart don't give it to that shop, these transmissions can hold 500hp easy. They don't just break. But good luck, easier to fix than replace.

Last edited by WFarms97HD; 05-02-2015 at 02:17 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
A FULL bearing, syncro, seal kit is about $250

My trans guy charges $200 labor to bench build it

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seats. PM me !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode