random hard shifting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
random hard shifting issues

97 F-250 7.3L E4OD 2wd stock. tranny was rebuilt around 75,000 has 164,500 now

trans filter has been replaced along with about 14 quarts of fluid. i am also running two trans cooler one a tube and fin type the other is a large plate fin. I was having a temp issue and deleted the radiator from the loop. trans temp is now 165 on a 100*+ day in stop and go traffic and drops to 155 on highway. now on to the problem

there are times when im driving when the truck would shift really hard and other times when it would work the way it should. it could happen when it starts in the morning and goes away a few miles down the road or after a 120 mile trip to my moms house. sometimes it will stay for a few miles and sometimes it will stay for two weeks or be gone for two weeks.

when everything is working right when i shift into drive the is about a 1 sec delay and a soft engagement. when it is shifting hard the truck jumps as soon as its in drive. if i accelerate slowly i can lessen the harshness but if the TC locks in third before it hits OD it doesn't matter. if i floor it between 1st and 2nd it is not noticable but when i let off it will slam the hardest into whetever gear it should be in.

EDIT: i did search but kept finding leaking tranny post

Last edited by husslr187; 08-02-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i believe i resolved the issue. about a week ago the motor started acting up (no power) but after warming up if i shut it off and turn it back on it was fine. when i popped the hood i noticed a small amount of water on the plug to the IDM. (its been raining here alot lately) when i disconnected batteries, unbolted the unit, and unplugged it, i found a little bit of green in the plug and on the terminals of the IDM. after spraying everything good with contact cleaner i put electrical grease on each terminal and reinstalled. after i re-installed i noticed the ground wire above it also had a little bit of corrosion so i cleaned and greased that as well.

im not sure which fixed the problem with the tranny and motor but i'm sure either one would have been a problem sooner or later
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IDM?

Where is that located?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i believe that is what its called. its on the fender almost touching the firewall on the driver side. it is held down with 3 long 5/16th bolts and a 7mm bolt holds the plug in. there are 20-30 wires on the plug some lead to the fusebox and others go through the firewall. the plug itself is rectangular.

i think that box was telling the PCM that the truck was at full throttle all the time (or possibly a fallback if communication is lost) which raised the line pressure in the trans. as said before it shifted fine at full throttle but horribly any other way. in any case its been a month so far since cleaning with no issue

Last edited by husslr187; 09-04-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My tranny guy told me that the TC in these years are real senstive to the ground or lack of. If a ground fails in the electrical system including the third brake light on the top of the cab the TC won't lock up and the tranny will run hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.