97 f350 4x4 aod manners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 f350 4x4 aod manners

I just purchased a 97 cc long bed 4x4 with 237k miles and the previous owner had absolutely no infor for me on maintinance for the truck. he owned it for 5 years and put approx 40k miles on it.

Im mainly worried about the transmission. the fluid is level, smells fine and is of good color, but an experienced eye can tell its kinda old fluid.

so for a newbie with a diesel with an automatic, what is normal operation for these trucks?

instead of me listing the concerns I have and we engage in a dialogue about what could be wrong, I was wondering if yall could just tell me what the tranny SHOULD be doing instead of what it shouldnt.

for example:

1st-4th upshifts ?

4th-1st downshifts?

what are the mannerisms of each sequence?

what should the shifts feel like under normal empty city driving with no load?

what should the downshifts feel like while coasting from 50mph to 0mp?

237k miles
4:10 gears
285x75x16 tires on stock wheels
no performance mods at all. no guages, nothing has been done to this truck. all bone stock.

I understand newbies are frustrating but I got a hold of a real nice truck and Id like to keep it on the road, and help from you guys is key.

thanks
heres a pic so you know what Im working with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM

doesn't slam into gear and doesn't sound like its hesitating when shifting
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 PM

thanks for responding!

no and no

its a smooth 'lurch' into gear.

not real hard but kinda on the soft side. I get into a little bit and it seems like it down shifts and winds up like normal.

its the soft excellerations and coasting downshifts that seem weird.

the downshifts are very noticeable.

i hope its just the 4:10s making the truck 'eager' to downshift.

thanks agian 89
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Honestly when decelerating it should drop to "neutral" by that I mean the TC unlocks and shouldn't feel much of any shifting unless you turn off OD manually, then the tc will lock in 3rd until that becomes to slow then idle with it unlocked until you slow, if your moving and drop the hammer it should fuel up then drop a gear or 2 and take off, not like a rocket, but shouldn't kidney punch either

Go ahead and change the trans fluid and mite as well get the screen in there while your at it
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM

I am reluctant to change it because the mileage since the last transmission service is unknown. I heard that all that new fluid would wash the clutches off and cause the tranny to slip then go out all together .

When coasting from about 40mph it's really downshifts fast
Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 PM

I drove it alot today for the first time and Im really worried about the downshift. as im decelerating, the downshifts are fine until 30mph. then it lurches down in the gears almost like an exhaust brake or something. like 1st and 2nd matched with the 410 gears is really making the truck not coast and causing it to downshift very aggresively.

any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM

well I have similar issues with my 96 auto

doesn't do it all the time, and sometimes upshifts are weird and downshifts are fine...and vice versa

these are complicated transmissions and the symptoms can be caused by external or internal issues.

The only thing you can really do now is drive it until the problem persists at all times or gets worse and then take it to a shop that knows these transmissions. Most good tranny shops should have experience with the E4OD because they all tend to give problems and Ford made a ton of them. Kinda hard to diagnose over the internet, which is the problem I ran into. All of the autos out there now have varying degrees of high mileage and all behave a little different, even if they don't cause problems.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 PM

mine does it randomly as well. down shifts very hard.

I have done some research and found out that the VSS has alot to do with the transmission and that turnsignals being out will also cause problems. my 3rd brake light and my cargo lights were burned out so I changed them. I also took the VSS out and cleaned it because the fluid in the diff was filthy. I already changed it but there was alot of goo in there and lots of goo on the VSS. Im not sure if it is coincidence but cleaning the VSS numerous times made my aggressive down shifts become very random instead of happening all the time.

I also shut my rear axle up by putting synthetic in it with some ford friction modifier. before the rear would bind and grind when i would move at a slow speed while turning. sounded like there were marble in my diff. gone now thanks to the modifier. Im a believer now.....
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM

good to know about the VSS.....all my exterior lights work, so I am still looking into why my trans acts up sometimes. I'll check out the rear diff and VSS.

thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Honestly when decelerating it should drop to "neutral" by that I mean the TC unlocks and shouldn't feel much of any shifting unless you turn off OD manually, then the tc will lock in 3rd until that becomes to slow then idle with it unlocked until you slow, if your moving and drop the hammer it should fuel up then drop a gear or 2 and take off, not like a rocket, but shouldn't kidney punch either

Go ahead and change the trans fluid and mite as well get the screen in there while your at it
Kris- reading what you wrote, tell me if my tranny is normal.
i am driving at 55 downhill, let of the accelerator and it feels like the engine is holding me back. As the hill gets steeper, i turn off the OD and it will higher RPM and slow down and hold me at about 50-55.
Now, if i am going 35 or so and going downhill, i turn off od to hold speed, and it is as if i dropped into neutral, the truck will run away if aloud to.
I assume, if i read you post correctly, this is normal of a diesel engine auto tran combo? I am used to gas motors where OD is my downhill speed control.

Also, what is this VSS peps are speaking of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.