E40D trouble brewing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E40D trouble brewing

1996 F250 4wd 7.3 w/E4OD

190K miles

Had this truck a month, seems to have been taken well care of, but I have no maintenance history

I have put less than 1000 miles on it in the past month

3 times after driving a mix of highway and city, the trans will act up. Most of the time I'll be driving at highway speeds and the TC will unlock and revs will increase (1500 to 1800 rpm), will do this a few times, and then 'catch' and stay in 4th. Will do this on cruise control as well as just driving around.

Once, it went beserk. I was on the highway, came to a stop, went to give it throttle and the revs just went up and barely moved. After revving for a few seconds, it 'caught' and tried to get going. The revs were very erratic and the trans was searching for the right gear. I got a flashing OD light then. Came to a stop, cut the truck off and let it cool. Cranked back up and had no issues. No OD light for 3 weeks now. Have not had the codes read.

Three days ago it did the same thing, but I got no OD light. Pulled over, put in park, put back in drive and went on my way. Drove 200 miles yesterday and no problem, except once it 'stumbled' when going from 3rd to 4th.

Now, this seems like some sort of electrical problem, but I'm no trans expert. I beleive most everything in the trans is a mechanical part that is controlled by a variety of external sensors and controllers, correct?

The truck works great otherwise, no CEL, no wierd shifts, plenty of power. Speedo and tach work fine.

Other than getting the codes read, which I will do, what should I be on the lookout for? When the mechanic tells me what he thinks is wrong, I want to be educated on the subject. I want to catch this before it craps the bed in the middle of no where.

Thanks

Last edited by onemanarmy; 05-20-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: asd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check all bulbs. Including 3rd brake light on cab. Then report back, if any are blown replace them.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM

Thanks..

No tunes, no mods

all bulbs are good, checked them. Replaced third brake light before I had any problems. Brake lights and license plate lights function properly.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatterindiesel View Post
Check all bulbs. Including 3rd brake light on cab. Then report back, if any are blown replace them.
If there is no third brake light bulb in the socket, would that make any difference?

My truck does the same thing sometimes.. It will also "rev" just a bit when I put on the right blinker (to change lanes) then when I turn the turn indicator off, it surges just a bit..
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm fairly certain there needs to be a bulb in there. Cheers!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be a faulty Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) (or also known as Transmission Range Sensor).

I had a new MLPS installed yesterday and so far, she shifts great and also seemed to have cured the right-turn signal indicator lag issue I was having.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdog97 View Post
Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be a faulty Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) (or also known as Transmission Range Sensor).

I had a new MLPS installed yesterday and so far, she shifts great and also seemed to have cured the right-turn signal indicator lag issue I was having.
Please elaborate on the turn signal lag your talking about, i think i have the same thing, and my trans too is acting a bit strange(nothing crazy...yet)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Please elaborate on the turn signal lag your talking about, i think i have the same thing, and my trans too is acting a bit strange(nothing crazy...yet)
Well it seems that the new MLP sensor did not fix the turn signal problem.

This is what it does: if I'm driving down the freeway and put my right turn signal on all the way (so it stays on w/o holding it) and then I turn the turn signal off (flick the lever down to the middle position).. right after I turn it off I get a little "surge" as if I just hit a sheet of ice (revs go up a bit) but then settles down and all is normal... If I hold the turn signal just so the blinker is on (but not dont engage the turn signal lever all the way into the "lock" position), it wont surge... so somehow I think there is a fault or something in the shift column on the steering column making it do this, but I"ve not been able to figure it out.

Hope that helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.