Clutch questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch questions

I have a 96 powerstroke with a 5 spd and I am going to replace the clutch on here in the next week or two. I have heard alot about the dual friction flywheel, but I dont really understand it in comparison the a standard fly wheel. I would like some help find the right replacement kit so I will do this job right. I have found many kits on the market and I am wondering what some of the members think about Haynes and Centerforce, and Zoom. Anyone with any information please drop a line. Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced the dual mass clutch on my '95PSD with a Luk kit.

The Luk kit seems fine, less vibration than the dual mass. BUT I found out after the fact that Luk makes two diff clutch's for the PSD a std and heavy duty, and I would recommend the HD, just because I don't think it's that much more.
I bought my kit on a Saturday (truck was torn down at this point and i needed it fixed asap) from a guy I thought was helping me out at a local tranny shop and paid almost $900 for it, which after visitng the dealer a few minutes before that and getting hit with a $1500 figure, seemed like a great deal. Only to find out it wasn't the best Luk clutch and I paid $300 more than I could have bought it online for.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to scooby53
Smile clutch

I have a 97 psd and i want to replace the clutch also i mean when i turn the truck off it shackes rattles and rolls sounds like the engine is going to fall out!! is a clutch job somehting you could do in your driveway or what?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby53 View Post
I have a 97 psd and i want to replace the clutch also i mean when i turn the truck off it shackes rattles and rolls sounds like the engine is going to fall out!! is a clutch job somehting you could do in your driveway or what?
I did mine in the driveway, but rented a tranny jack, made it a lot easier. If you've done a clutch before, you shouldn't have any trouble.

And I was getting a lot of vibration before I replaced the dual crap clutch.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Here is a trick for yall, pull 1 of the bell housing bolts out and go to the local hardware store and get a bolt with the same thread diameter and pitch only about 10" long. Remove 2 of the bell housing bolts on either side of the tranny and insert the 2 long bolts. Then when you unbolt the tranny you can just slide it back on the 2 long bolts. When your done just slide it forward on the bolts and it aligns itself!!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
I would look at South Bend Clutches. Lil pricer than some of the others but they are very tough clutches and ya can't beat the customer support from them either.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to scooby53
i have a 97 5 speed would i be bale to replace that witha new 6 speed or upgrade it?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut85 View Post
Here is a trick for yall, pull 1 of the bell housing bolts out and go to the local hardware store and get a bolt with the same thread diameter and pitch only about 10" long. Remove 2 of the bell housing bolts on either side of the tranny and insert the 2 long bolts. Then when you unbolt the tranny you can just slide it back on the 2 long bolts. When your done just slide it forward on the bolts and it aligns itself!!
Have you done this before? That sounds like it might work, but my concern would be that the tranmission would just be too much for the bolts and they would bend when you didn't expect them too or something.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby53 View Post
i have a 97 5 speed would i be bale to replace that witha new 6 speed or upgrade it?
I would like to know that too, would a 6spd out of a newer truck fit in my
'95? I'd like to get some more highway speed out of her. Rt now to run 65 it's making about 5lbs of boost. It'd be nice to run 65-70 w/o boost as that would save fuel, less heat in the eng, etc
Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker View Post
Have you done this before? That sounds like it might work, but my concern would be that the tranmission would just be too much for the bolts and they would bend when you didn't expect them too or something.
They will bend for sure but you have to support the weight of the tranny with a jack, the bolts are just for alignment. I have bone EVERY clutch job using this method and it works great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.