E4OD acting up, CEL on. O.D light flashes. need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD acting up, CEL on. O.D light flashes. need help

I was on my way to work today, runnin late and passed 2 vehicles in a row. as soon as I got around them I made it about a city block (in the country) and all of a sudden the check engine light came on, the overdrive light started flashing and the truck fell on its face as if i turned the key off. I let off the pedal, the lights went off and it idled fine. I hit the pedal again and the lights came back on. I pulled off, shut the truck off, started it back up and it did it again. pulled off again and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. I fired it up and it went away. Got home from work, goin through town and it decided to do it again. This is my first truck with an automatic. Is this a throttle position sensor problem or somethin to do with the trans? I havent had time to have someone throw a code reader on it. Thanks in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 PM

I've been having a similar issue, flashing OD light . And the pedal issue. I changed the VSS in the rear axle. And the TPS on the pedal. It is still happening. I believe it's a transmission solinoid issue

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 AM

I believe you are right. It hasn't happened to me for a little while (knock on wood).
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 AM

If either the CE light is on or the O/D-off light is blinking, there are codes stored. Prob. engine and tranny codes.

Does the CE light go on when you start the truck and run the pedal down briefly, just sitting in Park?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 AM

No. Only thing was od off light flashing on mine. No CEL.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 AM

I'll post in here, since I've had similar problems...

New to me 96 4x4 auto, everything stock..188K miles

Once, after a long highway drive, I got off the freeway, and then the tranny wouldn't shift correctly. Seemed to be stuck in a high gear. Also would shift erractically and the tourque converter didn't seem to be locking. OD light was flashing, but no CEL. This has happened once in the past month, but I don't drive it that much. Turned it off, let it sit for 15 or so minutes, and now everything is smooth. I have not had any codes checked, and I guess there are some since I had the OD light flashing. Correct?

However, I have no idea if the transmission has ever been worked on, and of course that is a worry, since E40D are ticking time bombs.

That brings me to my actual questions...when the torque converter fails to do its job, what causes this, most likely? The torque converter is a mechanical piece, and is controlled electronically by an external solenoid, I beleive. Now does the actual torque converter fail mechanically, or is there usually some electrical component that fails? Also, when people get the tranny 'rebuilt' what does that usually mean? Does that mean every component gets replaced with a master rebuild kit, or are there just certain parts that are replaced because they usually fail? How many electrical components control the operation of the trans? Are these all external, or are there some components that are inside the trans that require a removal?

Now if I do encounter further trans issues, I will take it to a shop, but want to be as knowledgable about the subject that I can, so the shop won't just throw parts at it or recommend a full rebuild when not necessary.

Lastly, if I do ever have to get it worked on, I'll need to know what some stronger, more reliable parts are to use in the fix, so some recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Lastly, if I do ever have to get it worked on, I'll need to know what some stronger, more reliable parts are to use in the fix, so some recommendations will be appreciated.
ZF makes some stronger, more reliable parts, esp. when they're assembled into a complete transmission....

BTW, even with the CEL off, a flashing OD-Off light means a tranny code is stored. You'll need someone with a scanner capable of communicating with the OBS PSD.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 AM

Yea, I know there are some trans codes stored when the OD light flashes, and if it acts up again, I'll see what they are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.