lost all my tranny fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lost all my tranny fluid

I was up in the hills yesterday with my family cutting firewood and I had about a half load and I was kinda bombing up this abscure forrest service road looking for one more log to cut up when my tranny started slipping it got worse and worse real fast and then finally nothing no matter what gear I put it in it wouldn't move. (automatic) So I'm like ooooooooohhhhhhhh beepbeepbeepbeep, I'm about 10 miles up this side road witch is about another 10 miles up the main road (forrest service 70) up off the highway. (410 East of Enumclaw) So anyway I got out and walked down about 500 hundred ft and there was a line of tranny fluid all the way to my truck it might have been leaking for a couple of miles it was definately coming out good because the line of fluid was almost solid, and I was going about 15-20. Thank god there was a wide spot in the road about 100 ft back so I coasted it back swung around and got my self pointed down (by this time my kids are freakin and my 7 year girl thinks were gonna die and my wifes ready to kill me.) so anyway we are coasting down hill try to keep the speed to get us through any flat spots or possible up hill portions (tranny would not engage at all) We got down about 2 miles and sure enoough we came to a short up hill portion and didn't have the momentum to get over it. ( now were really screwed) Well by now it about 2 hours sunset so instead of leaving the truck and hiking out I decided to dump the quart or so of 15w40 motor I happen to have. It worked for a minute it barely got us over the hill, and then wouldn't engage at all again.ju So we coasted down to the main line a then some guys in a yota towed us into town. I put about 3 quarts of mercon in it and we made it home to Puyallup. Tranny seems to be fine now but I didn't really get on it all the way home, so I'm not sure. I just went out to my truck and drove it its slipping pretty bad dumped in a quart of fluid seems to be ok. I think it's dripping from the low point of the bell housing cover. Any automatic tranny experts out there, did I make things worse by putting in engine oil, how many quarts do these trannys take. how about swapping it out for a manual, has anybody done this, is it a big deal. The fact that the fluid came out so quit up on the mountain does that mean that I blew a seal or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

you probably blew the front pump (torque converter) seal. Running it with the fluid low probably did the most damage after the fact, but the motor oil definately didnt help either....honestly this would be something to have a trans shop look at as far as where to go from here....

As far as a manual swap, there is enough computer controll there that i dont know how easy it will be. There is a speed sensor on the trans itself that in particular i dont know what it would take to do the swap....
Old 08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

Thanks Marc to the tranny shop it goes I guess
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Banned

the tranny worked perfect before yesterday considering the circumstances do you think it will need a rebuild or is there a cheaper fix. Also can anybody refer me to a good honest tranny guy in the greater Tacoma Wa area?

Last edited by bigmacattack; 08-10-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

does anybody know a good honest tranny guy in the greater Tacoma Wa area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.