95 auto PS tranny ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 auto PS tranny ???

My truck seems to shift fine if I have the OD off, but if I have OD on it locks and unlocks the convertor it feels like alot when the truck is just coasting. and sometimes it holds a gear and doesnt want to shift. my speedo does bounce, I changed VSS and it got way worse bounce and sometimes speedo didnt work so I put in old VSS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The transmission relies on the speed signal from the VSS so you need to fix the bouncing speedometer first. The signal form the VSS goes to the cab where it splits to the PSOM and RABS module, the PSOM converts the signal and sends it to the PCM which controlls the transmission. You could have a bad wire, bad PSOM, a issue with the RABS module or a bad tone ring. If you have a scope you can jack the truck up and watch the signal while the wheels spin. Otherwise you will have to pick which one you want to try and replace first. The PSOM is fairly common, you can get one out of any similar year 150-350 or Bronco.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is shifts fine with OD off for awhile but after 20 miles atleast it starts acting up, reving high not wanting to shift and when it does its a hard shift and it shifts back and forth alot. Ive tried a couple different VSS the wiring from it looks good, I took the Psom out unpluged it and pluged it back together. nothing still.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

May want to look into the range sensor on the side of the trans
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lib88stang View Post
The truck is shifts fine with OD off for awhile but after 20 miles atleast it starts acting up, reving high not wanting to shift and when it does its a hard shift and it shifts back and forth alot. Ive tried a couple different VSS the wiring from it looks good, I took the Psom out unpluged it and pluged it back together. nothing still.
Unplugging the PSOM usually doesn't do anything, you could try checking for cold solider joints but usually if it's bad you just need to replace it. Take a look at the junkyards or ebay, you should be able to get a PSOM for a somewhat reasonable price. The hard shifting is likely the transmission going into limp mode because it's confused about the speed.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My range sensor(I'm thinking it's called something else) is what triggered my rebuild. All new clutches, solenoid pack the whole nine yards. Over drive would drop out after a bit. Changed the sensor and no more problems in 6,000 miles.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When you changed the vss did you change the diff. fuild ? If you didn't the metallics in the old fuild could interfer with the magnetic pick up causing a bad signal .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.