E4OD Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD Problem

Hello Y'all, Ive been on and off this site for years. I bought an XLT '97 PSD 4x4 CCLB back in '08. I kept it for a year while I was building my house, then sold it. I've owned a lot of trucks over the years, but that one was my favorite! Recently I was looking for new trucks, when a '95 PSD 4x4 CCLB XL showed up. $4,000 later she was mine. I've put about 2 grand in wheels tires (crags list) fluid changes, all around brakes and a few must fix mechanicals for a somewhat cared for 300,000 mile 7.3L. She runs great, but the tranny is having a bit of trouble.

The tranny was replaced by ford 3 years ago (I have all these receipts), then rebuilt 13 mos. later out of warranty, then rebuilt again 8 mos. ago.

right now what it does is;
Overnight on next morning start-up will shift first, to second, then stay there. It will not shift passed 2nd until about a 10 mile warm up. At warm up 10 miles, if you come to a complete stop, it will start to shift and is fine as long as you don't hot rod it. It does it's normal stock E4OD crazy quick shifting dumps, but down shifts and seems to work fine. A local diesel shop said that it is slipping in OD, and needs to be replaced. They think that the morning shift problem is due to low line pressure. Once the oil warms up, it has enough pressure to shift out of second. The OD light does not ever blink. I've checked and cleaned the VSS, and don't have any speedo bounce. Even if the truck sits a full day, and I jump back to drive it, it will shift just fine. It's only after a good 12 hours that it won't shift.
I've tried manually shifting it, and this seems to make it shift sooner than the ten mile usual warm up.

Hot rodding it once it gets into second (after warm up) makes the engine light come on, and loose a bunch of power. It will still hold 70MPH on the interstate, but takes a lot of "go" pedal. Once you shut it off, it clears the code and runs, and shifts fine.

Do I need a new tranny? Ive searched a lot, and haven't come across anyone with a similar problem. Thanks for your help.

Great forum.

P.S. truck is completely stock with 20x10" 275x65x20" wheels, and tires. The truck did this with the stock 16" work truck rims it used to have on there as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, now I have a little more drive time with her. If I let her run at idle in park for 10 min. the tranny shifts fine. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, still searching for the tranny problem. I've spent more time driving the OBS, including towing about 3500 lbs. I found that the parking brake was sticking, but I think that only happened recently.

Here are some more symptoms;

1)truck shifts fine if I let her warm up for 10 min. will shift fine the rest of the day
2)if I start her (no warm up) up and immediately try to drive, seems like the tranny is slipping, so much so that the truck barely moves forward in drive.
3) after warm up and tranny is shifting, I notice a shutter in drive-line under acceleration. seems to be when the torque converter shifts into lock up.
4) after warm up, tranny shifting fine, if you start from a stop, let it shift 1st , lock up, then 2nd, if I give it some "go pedal, the turbo kicks in and off she goes shifting as normal as an E4OD can. truck will really haul.
5) from a stop, tranny warmed up, first gear to lock up, and hit "GO" pedal, the truck revs up to 2300 RPM moving forward just fine, then the engine light comes on and drops a lot of power. Still will gain speed and shift, but lacks a lot of it's power.
6) towing trailer, no problems with shifting (As I gain speed I let her shift, backing off the pedal only going from 1st lock-up into second), would run 70 in OD all day long including some pretty good sized hills on the interstate. I've stopped with the load on steep hills, and she'll get going right up when I start off again. There is no slipping with the trailer in tow.

This truck is running 3:73 gears.

So, sounds like torque converter to me, not the tranny. What do Y'all think?

Is it worth it to replace just the torque convertor, and maybe the valve body? Or, should I just replace the whole tranny and be done with it?
It's had a documented remanned ford tranny replacement, and two subsequent tranny rebuilds, the last rebuild only 8 mos. ago

Last edited by xjaddiction; 10-19-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Banned

I think its the nature of our trannies. my tranny doesn't shift into OD or have the TC lockup until its warmed up either.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, Here is the latest on the E4OD. I put a EDGE CS on the truck and ran the extreme tune for a month. Really woke the truck up. Shifting was improved greatly, but would shudder a little going into lock-up. These colder days made it hard to start as well. I figured extreme timing might have something to do with that.

This weekend I detuned to Tow mode, and that's it. The truck has plenty of power, starts better in the cold, and shifts as perfectly as an E4OD can shift. I can watch the tranny, and engine oil temps as well. The tranny never gets above 153 F.

I let the tranny temps warm up to 80F, then drive. It shifts fine, even under hard acceleration it goes smoothly into each gear. The old girl will really haul now.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another update,
I know there is so much talk on here about canned tunes, especially Edge products,,, but the fact is they sell a bunch. Also there are idiots out there that go to extreme tune and then flog their truck, hence the few internet problems that you are hearing.

I've been running the edge programmer for a few months now. I started with the extreme tune, then knocked it down to the tow tune. The truck is a different animal all together. It shifts perfectly, down shifts easily, and the display keeps track of a bunch of info.

I was about to replace the tranny on my truck, but with the tuner I can get on it (reasonably) and the truck really runs great. No shifting issues. I let it warm up to about 80* on the tranny temp, and the truck shifts fine after that. The tranny is not over heating, always around 150 even towing.

Down the road I'll replace the tranny if I need to ( I might destroke and go with the allison), but for now I can focus on other things like the RSK lift and 37" tires, interior, and bumpers over the next few months.

If your having the common E4OD shifting problems the canned tune works great.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quick update on my truck with the edge programmer...

The tranny still shifts perfectly when warmed up and the truck is running great in TOW mode program. Just over 300,000 miles on her. I've had some cold night runs on the interstate, and she just puts along. Plenty of power.

I will be doing some more work on her soon, lift and tires are in the near future. Then get rid of the stock exhaust with the cat still on the thing.

Just over 6000 miles with the Edge.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 AM

thanks for the good updates...good info to know
Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Still haven't had time to get the upgrades purchased let alone on the truck. I have driven it a bunch though and she's running fine. 305,000 on her now. The edge programer, although not favored by many here, keeps an eye on vitals for me, lets me know the few codes it throws occasionally (CPS and Injector control Module), and tunes the engine and transmission enough for the truck to keep trucking. The tranny shifts fine as long as I let it heat up to 120*. I'm just using the truck for weekend work projects, and trips to the mountain bikini trails.

I still love the truck, and have plenty of ideas to restore/improve the old OBS.

P.S. My friends love this truck, and I get plenty thumbs up from local OBS owners. My daughters and their friends think the role up windows are so cool. :-) funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.