new to psd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question new to psd

just bought 96 250 4x4 w 155k, trans replaced 25k ago, any suggestions about preventatve maint. on tranny? thinking about adding cooler temp guage and switching to amsol fluid. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 AM

Just stay on top of changing your tranny fluid!! You probably want to change your fluid around every 15k miles WHICH IS NOW!! The temp gauge will be nice to keep an eye on things.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Gig 'Em

Hi!!! Welcome to the site!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME!!!!

Take your shoes off and stay awhile!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 AM

Oh yes, I'm sorry, first things first. Welcome to the site, we are glad to have you.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Should I change and switch to syn. tran. oil? Also the previous owner used shell rotella 15-40 what about switching to syn rotella. I have been using val. syn. for the last 10yrs and have nothing but good luck while going 5k between changes.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
Synthetic trans. fluid is not that bigga deal. The standard (Motorcraft) fluid is ample in most cases.

Synthetic motor oils is a different ball game. The synthetic Rotella stuff is I believe actually a semi-synthetic still blended with dino oil. The Valvoline is good stuff so is Mobile Delo 400 (i think thats the name of it). If you run a full synthetic like the Amsoil stuff you can just do routine samples and filter changes adding oil accordingly until it needs to be changed. Can do that on any full synthetic really. Toss on a dual by-pass system and your good to go for a long time.

There are alotta people out there on both sides of the fence tho so do what your comfortable with oil change interval wise.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to trhland
welcome !!!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned

Heat is a trannies worst enemy. Synthetic fluids dont break down like dino, but provide no more protection from heat thatn a dino fluid.....

Your best bet for best longevity is to service the trans EVERY 15-30k depending on how hard you work it. Also, add on another tranny cooler, the larger the better. Some go as far as putting a temp sensor controlled electric cooling fan on the larger cooler, which may be overkill, but it is a great idea......keep it cool and the fluid in good shape and it should treat you great.....IMO, no reason not to use good old fashioned mercon dino trans fluid. DO NOT use any snake oils or additives.....
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
I vote for the syntetics myself (obviously).

1. The reason heat is a transmissions main enemy is it ruins the fuild, and then you lose your cooling and lubrication. Quality synthetics are much more durable compared to dino oils. They are flat out hard to burn.
2. Quality synthetics have been proven to reduce temps. They have more uniform molecules and thus reduce friction and wear, and are usually more shear stable, so they don't get broken down as easily.
3. Quality sythetics do not produce sludge. Sludge is caused by evaporation. When something gets hot it evaporates slightly. The vapors are the lighter chemicals. This is why old, used dino motor oil is thick. All the additives and thinner chemicals blended in it have been burned off. Quality synthetcs are much more heat stable, evaporating roughly half as much.
4. I am a proponent of extended oil drains, but on a transmission I have to fli flop. When using a quality synthetic, the oil does not require changing, as it is not worn out, but the filter NEEDS to be changed regularly to insure good flow of fluid to the pump and valvebody.

So, you just have to decide if the extra reduction in wear and friction and temps are worth the extra cost of the fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.