E4od stupid shifts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4od stupid shifts

okay i have a 97 f350 cc long box. daily driver pretty much. everyonce in awhile it needs to be used to pull my mothers horse trailer till she gets a hitch put in her truck. i've always noticed that while accelerating the tranny seems to just drop the truck in the next gear when shifting so the turbo hardly gets spooled up and it seriously bogs it down and seems to put tremendous strain and torque on the crank. after getting used to it doing that i can let off when it shifts and get back on it and then it shifts into gear really smooth and the turbo can stay spooled. but if i just stomp it down from a stop and hold it it shifts really hard like it just locks in right away.
then the other day i pulled a car to a track for my buddy which is the first time i've pulled anything in awhile. it pulled good for the most part but it seemed to shift way to early and shift before the turbo could spool and just lug the **** out of the motor. then i would have to let off and gun it again to make it downshift. o/d switch was off any time i had to go up any slope what so ever. then when i had to stop at the bottom of a hill for railroad tracks and start from a stop it pulled fine from the start but halfway up the hill when it should have probably stayed in the lower gear it shifted up and barely got above 1100-1200 rpms. then it had to downshift right away. the transmission was jusssssst rebuilt couple thousand miles on it maybe. idk i thought maybe the torque converter was causeing problems cause idk if it was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt. 170,000 on the whole truck. any advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry for such a long post to read. hahaha thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
BANNED by Kris

This only happens while hitched to something? Anything or always the same trailer? What do your gauges read when it's doing this (no gauges)?. Are you running any tunes? Is there smoke, what color?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 PM

it does it without the trailer too just more noticable with the trailer cause it has to downshift right away. its the only trailer i've towed in awhile. when my mom tows the horse trailer she said she doesnt notice it but she drives REALLYY slow and when i drive it does it cause im into the throttle more. no gauges no tunes. everything stock but a rebuilt transmission. it smokes blackish (barely any) when it shifts into a higher gear sometimes cause it lugs the crap out of it but thats it. thanks for the reply!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:53 AM

i just had a gooseneck flatbed hooked up the other day with a skid steer. it was pretty heavy pretty much had my foot to the floor the whole time. if i got in it harder right off the line it would shift into second and it seems like the converter locks right away and just about kills the motor. sometimes i would have to let off to get it to downshift again.
just thought i would add that in
if i dont get on it as much it seems to shift a little better.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieself350 View Post
okay i have a 97 f350 cc long box. daily driver pretty much. everyonce in awhile it needs to be used to pull my mothers horse trailer till she gets a hitch put in her truck. i've always noticed that while accelerating the tranny seems to just drop the truck in the next gear when shifting so the turbo hardly gets spooled up and it seriously bogs it down and seems to put tremendous strain and torque on the crank. after getting used to it doing that i can let off when it shifts and get back on it and then it shifts into gear really smooth and the turbo can stay spooled. but if i just stomp it down from a stop and hold it it shifts really hard like it just locks in right away.
then the other day i pulled a car to a track for my buddy which is the first time i've pulled anything in awhile. it pulled good for the most part but it seemed to shift way to early and shift before the turbo could spool and just lug the **** out of the motor. then i would have to let off and gun it again to make it downshift. o/d switch was off any time i had to go up any slope what so ever. then when i had to stop at the bottom of a hill for railroad tracks and start from a stop it pulled fine from the start but halfway up the hill when it should have probably stayed in the lower gear it shifted up and barely got above 1100-1200 rpms. then it had to downshift right away. the transmission was jusssssst rebuilt couple thousand miles on it maybe. idk i thought maybe the torque converter was causeing problems cause idk if it was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt. 170,000 on the whole truck. any advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry for such a long post to read. hahaha thanks much
Welcome to a stock tuned e4od. Thats what they do.

Ways to fix it? A good valve body.. it will soften up the shifts, increase line pressure, and switch gears much quicker to maintain boost.
Second thing; custom chip w/ tranny tuning. This will hold gears longer and not short-shift like crazy, which is what you are experiencing. Also, beans tuning will control the torque convertor much better, which will help out with towing a ton.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:08 AM

awesomeee thanks alot! its just been getting on my nerves lately so i thought i would ask and see whats up. hopefully i can get a chip soon (when i have some money) and it will help. Thank you much 85_305 and BigFuel. That helps alot im just glad somethins not effed up.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 AM

wrong!

I have the exact same problem.. i have the phoenix chip with all the towing tunes, transgo reprogrammer kit in tranny, triple disk converter. and valve body. still does the same crap yours is... i've been asking for help for over a year still. cant fix the problem..also mine is a new ford hd rebuilt tranny.. i justed changed the gears to 4.11's that helped a bunch but still does it....
Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A transgo kit AND valve body? Redundant much?
Is it tuned for what's in the trans and how you want it to shift?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjarvis23 View Post
I have the exact same problem.. i have the phoenix chip with all the towing tunes, transgo reprogrammer kit in tranny, triple disk converter. and valve body. still does the same crap yours is... i've been asking for help for over a year still. cant fix the problem..also mine is a new ford hd rebuilt tranny.. i justed changed the gears to 4.11's that helped a bunch but still does it....
You cant have a shift kit AND valvebody. It soundsl ike your tunes are junk though. And it sounds they aren't programmed for your mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
A transgo kit AND valve body? Redundant much?
Is it tuned for what's in the trans and how you want it to shift?
Ya I"m pretty sure that isn't possible, and if it is, then I can understand the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.