trasns over heating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation trasns over heating

alright i need some help because this is got everyone stumped i have a 97 stroke with the e40d and well the trans is trying to burn its self down well anyway i had been driving it everyday for work the trans ran 218 everyday and i thought that was normal well i was driving about 2 hours away and i was watching the trans temp and it hit 280 this is the second time it has done this first time was in February and this time here in july i made it 2 hrs away and thats where my truck is sitting but i had some people look at the truck and the fluid isn't burnt that bad and now it dirves just fine around town i need major help so thanks

Last edited by forttravis; 08-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

When was fluid changed last? If not for a while, I'd change it anyhow and put a new filter in it and see how temps are. How's the shifting? Sluggish, quick, harsh?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
When was fluid changed last? If not for a while, I'd change it anyhow and put a new filter in it and see how temps are. How's the shifting? Sluggish, quick, harsh?

the fluid was changeed about 15000 miles ago and it had been normal shifting and then it was feeling like the torque converter wasn't locking up when it was at 280
Old 08-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow. I'd change it again.
You'll be able to tell if the TC locked up or not. When you pushed the throttle, did the RPMs jump easily or not?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Wow. I'd change it again.
You'll be able to tell if the TC locked up or not. When you pushed the throttle, did the RPMs jump easily or not?
yea we are doing that and putting a larger trans cooler on but since it was at 280 should i be worried about the electricals in the trans my brother in law is working on getting a 350 or 450 trans cooler with the elect fan on it or just a 6.0 one he is searching for me its just confusing cuz i have had the trans slip error come up 3 times and when i am running down the road 70 is 1800 rpm but when it hit 280 60 was 1800 rpm but it still operates good now they have been driving it to get it to act up again but they cant get it to
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Sounds like your TC is on the way out. Either that or the shift solenoid pack is going and its not locking the tc fully.

Don't buy the cooler with the fan on it. I don't think it will do the job that the 28 or 31 row 6.0 cooler will. Just get the 6.0 cooler and be done.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Sounds like your TC is on the way out. Either that or the shift solenoid pack is going and its not locking the tc fully.

Don't buy the cooler with the fan on it. I don't think it will do the job that the 28 or 31 row 6.0 cooler will. Just get the 6.0 cooler and be done.

if it is the torque converter which brand do you all preffer i have looked up alot of them and trying to find one in my price range is hard as hell and where do i find the internal elec stuff at do i just go get a juck yarder
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

No, you need to get a billet tc. BD diesel makes a good one, as does BTS. Those are probably your best bets.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Shift solenoid pack will have to come from the dealer. You need to look on the case and get the number off the side of it to give the dealer so he can get the right solenoid pack,
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM

im going to try doing a complete flush this weekend and see if it helps or makes it worse i guess we shall see and im going to remove my cooler and see if there is a bunch of crap in it that is blocking it and check the flow on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.