Did i use the wrong shop or what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did i use the wrong shop or what?

So i decided to have my tranny rebuilt. It worked fine except for a couple of times it would not go into reverse, i think when the fluid was hot. Also when i did a service on it there seemed to be an excessive amount of stuff on the magnet. So since i had the money and might not down the road i decided now was the time.
According to the shop my tranny was in horrible condition with chewed up gears, bad pump etc. Is this possible when it worked great except for reverse and only once in a while?
Also they have had my truck now for over a week and have put the tranny in twice and still something isnt right. In fact its worse than before as it wont engage. SO my question is is this a complicated tranny? Should a tranny shop not be able to rebuild it right the first time?

I should also point out that this shop was recommended by more than one person and i cant find anybody who has heard anything bad with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well it turns out that there was some spring that was binding up in the valve body. Took them a while longer that it should have but its all good now.
Cost $2400 for a rebuild, twin disk converter, tugger kit, a few hard parts etc, not bad.

Thanks for all the replies...... Oh wait there was none. Luckily there are other "powerstroke" forums with more friendly members, i dont seem to get answers from here ever. Maybe next time.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Diesel Freak

Glad to hear you got it resolved my tranny is still on the chopping block... I just dont know where to start with it. which hard parts are you speaking of and what brand TC did you use?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sometimes it takes a bit for folks to reply... Not everyone is on every day.

Good to hear you got it resolved. These transmissions are not super complicated, but there are 4 valves in the vb. The 1st one I built I had a valve problem and had the trams out like 4 times before I figured out my case was bad...

Hard parts would be the planets. Pre-97 Ford used alum planets, usually a good trams rebuilder will replace the planets with steel.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You would think that a trans shop would know what to look for if there was a problem. I could see a general repair shop having some problems but not a speciality shop
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
You would think that a trans shop would know what to look for if there was a problem. I could see a general repair shop having some problems but not a speciality shop
One would think... There are also alot of tranny shops that wont work on diesel transmissions. Like.I said I had my 1st e4od rebuild in and out of the truck no less than 4 times. I was building it in my friends shop who is a master builder and has been in the transmission business for 30 years, and we still couldnt figure it out. Finally we decided to start from scratch with a completly new case. Turns out that my original got heated up enough to warp it to where the VB wasnt seating properly, I mean we are talking it being off by a few thousandths. This casued it to shift poorly from 2-3.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Other than the bolt pattern for the bellhousing there is no difference between the transmissions. Internals are the same
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
Other than the bolt pattern for the bellhousing there is no difference between the transmissions. Internals are the same
What bolt pattern?? Im missing your point here... ??? We are talking e4od right??

Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gas and diesel use different bolt patterns. Internal are somewhat the same. They share the same layout.

Most important thing before rebuilding any E4 or 4R is to check the case for damage and warpage.

Warpage can be checked with a good straight edge and feeler gauges.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackspeeder View Post
Gas and diesel use different bolt patterns. Internal are somewhat the same. They share the same layout.

Most important thing before rebuilding any E4 or 4R is to check the case for damage and warpage.

Warpage can be checked with a good straight edge and feeler gauges.
Yes I know this... 460 uses same patern though... Mine was warped... Only took tearing it down 4 times to figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.