Lots of fluid lost, looks too thin for Manual trans fluid. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lots of fluid lost, looks too thin for Manual trans fluid.

So, I went to the metal supply house to pick up some steel, and on the way back (only 3 miles away) the (manual trans) started puking oil out the front of the trans/behind the engine. The oil seems rather thin, but has a lot of brass in it, which leads me to believe it is the synchros. I am just trying to figure out if this is common for them to puke out the front like this, and if so, do I need a full rebuild? (still shifts fine, just noisy) or can I just put in new synchros. Either way, who is a good supplier for parts for this ZF Transmission? Thanks for any help. Anything in particular I should be looking for? The truck is a 95 Ford F-Superduty (450) Dually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 09:40 PM

Ok, I just got under there for a closer look... I found that the forward bearing is blown apart, and it put a hole in the front of the case. The bearing carrier looks fine, so my next question is, can I put a new bering in it, and have the case welded? (vice versa of course) Or am I better off just getting another case? The hard parts all look good, and it seems to be fine other than the obvious! Thanks for any help.
Dan Beyer
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
My guess would be new case. The case is cast and that is a SOB to weld.
Try NADP.
www.nadp.ca

There are others but I think Barry is your best bet!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Manual Tranny noise.

I have a noise that started to show up last week. I only hear it when it's in gear & coasting. I do not hear it when in neutral, clutch is in or in gear under a load. Only when in gear & coasting. The noise is a loud metalic "click......click......click" every other second or so. Starting to get me a little worried. Any idea's??? It's a 1995 F350 7.3 powerstroke turbo w/ manual tranny, 2WD dually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.