Weird acting E4OD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Diesel Freak

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird acting E4OD

Have a 97 F250 HD XLT Auto 4x4 340,xxx mi tranny rebuilt at 289,xxx and today I let a friend drive my truck he beat on it pretty hard and thee a burnout in the mix and after the next stop sign it started acting up. When in drive it wouldn't shift out of 1st and have to force it manually into 2nd then if you are easy and I mean real easy on the go pedal and it will go through the upper gears and OD like there wasnt any problem at all. So 3rd through 4od is fine but when it down shifts it has to almost start over again which sucks cuz I'm going like 25mph and 3000rpm in 1st. Can anyone help gear shifter lever wire might be a little loose it was rolling backwards in park the other day at the pump. Does it have to do with the shifter cable the TC or internal on the tranny the fluid is still red and no chips or metal sparkle at all. What should I do first to diagnose this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Diesel Freak

A few other clues are when the PHP chip I have is put in any position other than stock it doesnt want to shift out of first or second gear and the OD light is not flashing so thats a good sign I think
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Diesel Freak

Might be in limp mode going to disconnect batts for 30 mins and go from there .... I hope it's not planetary gears or TC
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
BANNED by Kris

Betting it's in Limp mode. Scan it and clear the code. TC shouldn't have gone out if your not finding any pieces of in in the pan. When in first, at a stop, and you accelerate normal does the truck's speed climb with the RPMs as it did before? Or does it feel like there is a bit of slippage between the motor and tranny? Read your other thread, maybe swap back your other PCM till things have been smoothed out.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Diesel Freak

Yes it seemed to me that it did accelerate fine in each respective gear
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
BANNED by Kris

For ****s and giggles pull your VSS and clean it.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Diesel Freak

Ok update I disconnected batts for an hour hooked them back up shifting was a little better and would shift somewhat the same as yesterday very difficult and had to rev it up high then let out of it for it to shift. Pulled codes with the Solus+ and got P0603 which is from disconnecting the batts or from the chip. Doesn't help me very much at all. My very good mentor and expert backyard mechanic is going to diagnose the problem I hope tomorrow. What is the VSS? What might that do ? Is there a vacuum powered diaphram on this tranny that could go bad? I want to point these problems towards my chip/PCM
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Diesel Freak

When the trans is in drive and in 3rd gear and I get into the pedal so it will downshift I feel it get out of gear rev up high as he'll and 2 seconds later slams into gear real fun times
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

Thats why people dont touch my ****
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM
BANNED by Kris

^Agreed. I don't let my WIFE drive my truck. VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's the sending unit at the rear pumpkin above the Pinion Input. (EDIT: clean the work area first so nothing falls into the sending units hole) Unscrew the 10mm bolt holding it in and carefully pull the unit straight out while slightly twisting it clockwise and counter clockwise. It's a magnetic pick-up that reads off the ring and pinion. Old gear oil carries a lot of metal shavings that start to build up on the sending unit. This really shouldn't be your problem as your speedo still works (right???) BUT it is one of the sensors that allows the TC to lock. On lifted trucks a lot of installers forget that you need to lengthen the wiring to the VSS or it can be damaged with further then stock wheel travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.