E4OD possibly needs rebuild have a few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD possibly needs rebuild have a few questions

I am thinking my tranny might need a rebuild. It has an intermittent problem with reverse. Sometimes i will go to put it into reverse and it wont do anything. If i rev it up it will "slam" into reverse just for a second and then nothing again. It only does it sometimes and it might be only when the fluid is like up to about 160 or 180 degrees or so. Also im not sure if it shifts right either. Sometimes it seems like it will blow its self up before it shifts unless i let off the throttle like when i am passing a car or something.
So now for my questions;
1. Does this problem sound like something somebody recognizes?
2. Do i need a billet clutch? Single double or triple? I dont tow much maybe a car trailer at most, no 5th wheels etc.
3. What years of the A4OD will bolt right up with no modifications to my truck?

I just bought this truck and so far have already had to replace the engine as i found a crack in the block a week after i bought it ugh.

Last edited by crewcabxlt; 07-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Make sure that your PRiNDL cable is adjusted correctly before buying anything. They do stretch and bind as they age. In a parking lot where you have some space put it into reverse and see what happens. Then pull gear selector toward you and slowly up and down from the locked reverse position.

If you do a lot of towing or F-ing around then buy a multi-disk clutch TC. Otherwise the 7.3l and E4OD was used in a lot of fleet and emergency vehicles so look at getting one for a utility truck or ambulance. Buy a case of beer and bring it to a fleet shop and have them buy you the TC. Fleet parts can be a lot cheaper.

Years.... I think you can get one from a '98 diesel van all the way back to a 94 diesel truck. Before that you can get into more C6 variants of the tranny.

Last edited by BigFuel; 08-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it was an adjustment you would think that revving it up would have no effect. If i rev it up it jumps into reverse for a second.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

True, unless the cable is "just so" out of alignment that revving the motor torques the motor and tranny over enough for the cable that is mounted to the chassis to adjust just enough in the selector that is mounted to the tranny to engage the gear. The test is free and would be nice if that was the case before spending money.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will be watching this thread with interest- the '97 F250HD I picked up recently does just this same thing. Judging from the fact that it does, in fact, bang into gear, and then kick back out, makes me think that the clutches are good, but there's a valve or check ball problem that isn't keeping the pressure on the apply piston for the reverse clutch pack.

I'll do some research into the valve bodies as regards reverse, and if I come up with anything, I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath, I'm a total noob when it comes to slushboxes and I have a lot on my plate, but I want my reverse back! We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.