tunning the shift points on rebuilt e4od - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tunning the shift points on rebuilt e4od

Hey everyone I am new to this site and being a powerstroke owner. I purchased my 97 f-250 with a bad tranny and that was all I knew about it. I had my local shop stick in a stock rebuilt tranny and everything worked good except the shift points seem to be all over the place. I asked them about adjusting the shifting but their computer would not read anything on the truck. I was wondering if this was a sign of aftermarket programming/chip? It works fine if I manually shift the tranny, but I was wondering if there was a way to set the shift points.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

/All the shift points are computer programed. Shops can't change that unless they have there own reprogramming, few do. "there computer won't read anything on the truck". '97 is OBD II, any reputable shop should be able to read info, data.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. From what I was reading in other posts it looks like I will be needing a chip/programer to help with this issue. When the shop that put my tranny in could not get any codes or info from the truck they told me it must be because the truck had a chip.. As you can tell I'm not knowledgeable at all on chips, programers or scanners so I took their word on it. They also mentioned that my check engine light does not come on when you turn on the key and that was a sign of a chip. However I checked and there is no chip yet and the check engine light does come on briefly when the key is turned on.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Banned

The CEL will only come on for a split second; thats normal. is this your first e4od powerstroke? Yes, they shift very funky from the factory. A good chip and a good valve body will fix that up.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes this is my first e4od powerstroke. I originally rescued the truck from the car crushers and planned to fix it up a bit and turn around and sell it but it works so good I decided to keep it. Other than the funky shifting the truck works great. Hopefully I can get that corrected.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Banned

Valve body and GOOD custom tuning. Good job saving it from the crusher though, thats awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.