greasing throw out bearine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
greasing throw out bearine

My throw out bearing has started kinda whistling/squeeking, I've read all the forums that it just needs greased, as soon as I touch the clutch pedal it goes away or when I'm on the throttle and it puts a little pressure to it then no noise. I even crawled under it while idling and just moved the clutch fork the little bit it would and it goes away, I read some post where the guy said he reached his hand in there and greased his, theres no way I could get my hand in there so I'm wanting to know if theres a trick you guys know of to get grease on the clutch fork where it rubs the throw out bearing with out dropping the tranny? Please help, this squeel is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know of no way to grease it- it's a totally sealed unit. If the squeal goes away when you touch the clutch, it sounds to me like what's squealing is the bearing face on the fingers of the pressure plate, possibly due to a worn throwout arm. Check that, they have a tendency to wear an oval in the arm where the pivot is, and not engage/release fully.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 AM

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and put a new clutch kit and flywheel in it, mine still has the dmfw and I've been chasing a miss and sputter for a while and put and insane amount of new parts on the motor to no evail so I'm hoping its the dmfw going, I'll for sure just put in a smfw kit though. Hopefully this will get her fixed.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good choice. I replaced mine with an LuK kit, it was so easy! I initially replaced it because my throwout bearing exploded , but I found out the DMF was pretty well shagged out- had more than 1/4" of slop in the springs!

Be careful taking the old one out, they're a LOT heavier than you might think. I tore my rotator cuff (was working on my back in the driveway) trying to catch it when the blasted thing came out.

Don't forget to check the throwout arm pivot while you're in there!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM

Throwout arm pivot? The little ball the clutch fork rides on?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There was some little dealie in there that people said wears out and makes the clutch sloppy at the pedal. I wound up replacing the whole lot, so I don't know for sure; all I know is, you only want to have to go in there once!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Oh ok, your talking about that plastic bushing on the linkage. Yeah im gonna do it all while its apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.