Feeler: Reverse/grind/no engage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Feeler: Reverse/grind/no engage

95, F250, 5-speed manual 7.3 Powerstroke:

Truck runs, and shifts nicely. Push the clutch pedal to the floor, push the shifter into reverse (seems like it engages) start releasing clutch, then LOTS OF GRINDING and it kicks the shifter back to neutral.

However, if you shut the truck off, shift to reverse, then fire it back up, it's FINE!

The clutch grabs when the pedal is about an inch from the floor...

Syncro's? Clutch? Trans?

The only thing I haven't tried yet is double clutching in neutral then trying reverse... I won't be back at the truck for another week and a bit, thought I'd try to feel out thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

nothing eh?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd guess its a combination of synchro/slider failure. It's quite common to on these trucks with the poor clutch pedal/bushing design.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM

If it grabs that low on the pedal travel, and engages with the engine off, it's probably the hydraulics not pushing the clutch open enough. That or weak pressure plate fingers. Or the craptastic plastic bushing on the pushrod is shot.

Slide under the cab with a tape measure / ruler while you have an assistant hop in the cab and work the pedal. Measure the distance the tip of the fork moves. If it's less than 1/2"-9/16", the problem is upstream (hydraulics, bushing, etc). If it's at least that, then it's downstream (pressure plate, synchros).

Silly question maybe, but, how are the tranny and clutch fluid levels?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Mine has always grabbed that low, however I get full fork travel
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I'm picking the truck up in one week.. Thanks for the thoughts guys... I plan to go over it completely once I get it, as it does need some work.
Thanks again guys, I'll let you know what I find.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked out the notorious clutch 'bushing' and the bushing is gone, the hole is an oval, and the pin is about half what it should be... Just ordered the Heim joint fix and will repair once I get it. ... Thanks again for all your help, I'd imagine this will help fix the problem. Maybe not all of it, however, I'll be able to do my process of elimination. . Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My '95 does the same thing, but not quite as bad. I'd never tried shifting into reverse with the engine off.

I'm guessing you're having a hard time getting the synchro to engage fully because the clutch is grabbing slightly, putting pressure on the driveline. Fix that, and the reverse issue should be partly resolved.

It gets worse if you don't take care of that; the synchro won't often wear as much as the teeth on the gear do, just because the synchromesh teeth on the gear face are smaller. The teeth begin to get a bevel wear on them, and they'll allow you to go into gear just fine, but the taper will cause the gear to kick the synchro off. Too much of that, and you'll be left without reverse at all. Don't be tempted to try to hold the trans in reverse with the shifter- the trans is stronger than you are!

Worst case scenario, you've gotta go find a ZF with good gears and swap guts (or at least that one gear). If you delve into the guts, it'd be a good idea to replace all of the blocking rings and synchro dogs at the same time.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9viw View Post
Don't be tempted to try to hold the trans in reverse with the shifter- the trans is stronger than you are!
"Hand shaker" becomes "wrist breaker"....
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Unpremium Member

I know this thread is getting old, but my '95 did the same thing. I drove it that way for a while, starting it in reverse when I had to, or just parking it on a grade so gravity was my reverse.

In my case, the clutch pedal and hydraulics were fine, it was the transmission. Definitely check those first. But new synchros in the ZF5-42 cured the problem. This was at about 250k. Now at 272k and still going like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.