CALLING ALL TRANNY EXPERTS!!HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question CALLING ALL TRANNY EXPERTS!!HELP

So its a 97 f350 5 speed. it grinds every gear as I shift. I figured out how not to grind it by just pulling it from 2nd into neautral and then keep pressure against it till it slides into 3rd. and so on with all gears. New master cylinder, slave cylinder, tranny fluid..rod end bushings on master cylinder to pedal are good. have plent of pressure on the pedal. When i push the clutch in it releases pressure on the clutch plate ( figured it out threw the inspection panel on flywheel area)..so after all this trouble shooting and readings i think ive come to the conclusion that the clutch wheel contiunes to spin even when clutch is engaged causeing the gears to grind. thought of that cause once im in a gear i can go back and forth from neautral to that gear with no problem. its changing gears when it grinds. Someone please HELP! thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you're floating them. I'm not an expert on auto's, for sure not manuals, but maybe the synchros?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM

I beleive there is a syncro for everygear and i dont think all of them would be gone together at same time. Im no expert either did all my trouble shooting from on here threw other posts and googleing..finally asked a friend and he came up with the clutch disk continues to spin..
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM

Sounds like maybe syncros to me. It's not completely impossible for all of them to worn out. Have you tried to replace the transmission fluid yet? Maybe if it's old fluid it's not allowing the synchronizers to work properly. I'm not sure about ford manual trans, but some require a friction modifier added to the trans fluid for the synchro to work right.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM

It isn't a Ford transmission. It's made by ZF, and it REQUIRES synthetic ATF. IIRC, it's because of the material the synchros are made of. Make sure the level is up and the fluid is fresh; drain and replace if you're not certain. Some fellas have had good results from overfilling by 1/2 qt or so, by filling from the shifter.

But from your observation it sounds like you're still not getting full disengagement of the clutch. Did you replace the hydraulics as a pre-built pre-bled assembly? If not, how did you bleed the system? Also, the arm coming down from the pedal pivot down to the pushrod may not be positioned to give full travel to the pushrod. You can remove it (remove the nut and pry it off; it's pressed onto the splines of the pivot shaft) and reinstall it a few degrees "counterclockwise" of its previous position; that will make the pedal push the pushrod a little further.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I agree with madpogue that your clutch is not completely disengaging. I would bet that the plastic pivot bushing under the dash is wore out or gone and starting to eat into the metal.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM

With full clutch pedal movement, what's the corresponding travel of the slave cylinder ram? There is a spec for it, but I can't remember whether it's 14mm or 11mm (I'll check later when I'm home). Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.